Throwing Motion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2019
DD is a 14 yrs old catcher who plays 1st & 3rd when not catching. I've always stressed to her as a catcher to get rid of ball quickly, even at the expense of some ball speed. The past year she has been experiencing some elbow discomfort and have been watching to try and find something. Travel coach says he thinks shes putting elbow through too early. Wife pointed out she appears to be twisting arm on forward release and in playing catch with her this past week saw it myself. Almost as if she's trying to snap of a curveball in baseball. Any suggestions as to try and fix this? Headed to orthopedic surgeon tomorrow for a diagnostic visit.

May 23, 2015
I have no idea what too much elbow through too early. That makes no sense. Your shoulder, elbow, wrist , and hand are one unit. They work together.....

The #1 cause of catcher arm discomfort from throw downs is not following through. Girls will drag their throwing hand toe a little, but not follow through. It causes them to square up to 2nd and torqued their elbow

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
DD is a 14 yrs old catcher who plays 1st & 3rd when not catching. I've always stressed to her as a catcher to get rid of ball quickly, even at the expense of some ball speed. The past year she has been experiencing some elbow discomfort and have been watching to try and find something. Travel coach says he thinks shes putting elbow through too early. Wife pointed out she appears to be twisting arm on forward release and in playing catch with her this past week saw it myself. Almost as if she's trying to snap of a curveball in baseball. Any suggestions as to try and fix this? Headed to orthopedic surgeon tomorrow for a diagnostic visit.
Have any videos? Maybe even throwing from 3rd and 1st as well as C.

Feb 16, 2015
South East

I think the coach is trying to say she is throwing the ball like someone throwing a dart, maybe?? If that is the case she is pushing the ball and not really throwing it. Which can/will cause Hyper Extension of the elbow joint.

The curve ball stuff is also bad:

Supination of the hand/arm is bad at release because it can/will cause Hyper Extension of the elbow joint. Pronation is good during the throw/release because it inhibits Hyper Extension of the elbow.

Which direction is the ball or her palm facing when she pulls back to throw the ball??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2019
I have no idea what too much elbow through too early. That makes no sense. Your shoulder, elbow, wrist , and hand are one unit. They work together.....

The #1 cause of catcher arm discomfort from throw downs is not following through. Girls will drag their throwing hand toe a little, but not follow through. It causes them to square up to 2nd and torqued their elbow
Have any videos? Maybe even throwing from 3rd and 1st as well as C.

Apr 20, 2019
Throwing to second

Attachments

• IMG_04661.jpg
    IMG_04661.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_04651.jpg
    IMG_04651.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_04641.jpg
    IMG_04641.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_04631.jpg
    IMG_04631.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_04671.jpg
    IMG_04671.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 36
Feb 16, 2015
South East
IMG_04631.jpg

This frame shows that she is out of sequence...... The elbow is a good ways past the ear and the arm is in full lay back position, her front leg has already fully braced also, which indicates a much to early weight shift...... That is just a couple of things that can be taken away from just this still shot....

PS. I hope she received some good news from the orthopedic surgeon....... Good luck to you guys.

Nov 18, 2015
The last picture shows her hand pronating after release (finishes with the thumb down) - that's a good thing. You normally don't get to that position by trying to throw a curveball. Her lead leg is blocking / bracing, which is also good.

For me, it's hard to tell from the angle of the picture whether the elbow is just past the ear, or "a good ways past" as DRDRODD posted. The layback is good, but as always with still shots, there's some missing frames that would be easier to determine w/video if she's in a proper sequence.

One thing that may help her sequence is how she takes the ball out of her glove. At 10U, I notice a lot of "elbow flapping" - as if the elbow double pumps to get itself into the proper sequence. This movement seems to correlate strongly with players who take the ball out of their glove with their throwing forearm vertical (glove arm and throwing arm form a 90 deg angle) vs players who break their hands with either both forearms flat, or at least the throwing forearm flat (horizontal to ground). The second pick (#4651) looks like she's taking the ball out of her glove with her elbow at her side (vertical).

Try a few throws with more a straight pull back (think archery - pulling the bow back), and try to capture either video, or burst mode w/ a camera, and see if her sequencing improves (the shoulder should lead the elbow).

ETA: http://www.highlevelthrowing.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802