throwing mechanics - correct hand position

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2008
When teaching the correct mechanics for overhand throwing, at the "break" (or "ready" or "load") position, should the throwing hand be facing away from the target (aka "picking something off the shelf behind you"), or up/toward the target (aka "picking an apple from a tree").

Also, do we all agree that the glove hand should be pointed at the target? I've seen some discussions stating only the glove shoulder needs to be pointed at the target, and one comment stating the glove should NOT be pointed at the target, but with no reason stated.

Jul 28, 2008
When teaching the correct mechanics for overhand throwing, at the "break" (or "ready" or "load") position, should the throwing hand be facing away from the target (aka "picking something off the shelf behind you"), or up/toward the target (aka "picking an apple from a tree").

Also, do we all agree that the glove hand should be pointed at the target? I've seen some discussions stating only the glove shoulder needs to be pointed at the target, and one comment stating the glove should NOT be pointed at the target, but with no reason stated.

Glove pointing, goalpost position or glove tucked to armpit/chest area is what I teach the girls. I let them choose what works for them, but I prefer the glove tucked or goalpost because there's less movement. If it's not, they have a dead front arm and there is no pull to their motion going forward. So as long as they do one of the three items I mentioned, I don't mess with their front side.

Jul 17, 2008
in the dugout
i prefer the throwing hand be facing the same direction as your right (or left if you're a lefty) ear. if you hold your arm up and turn your hand directly behind you (picking something off a shelf behind you) you will feel your forearm and wrist tighten up. keep your arm and wrist relaxed and in a natural position.
gen231unsigned.jpg

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Girls, more than boys, have a tendency to want to face their target and the resulting throws tend to be shot put-like. (or like throwing a pie) bcause of this natural tendency,they need more drilling in the fundamentals of throwing.

Younger/less experienced need more obvious cues. I find that they all start out needing to point their glove at their target and show the ball to the outfield (behind them) before they throw it and learn the swim-like motion with throwing hand coming forward as glove hand goes back.

As they get this, it becomes more the glove elbow pointing at the target.
Also, throwing on one knee is a great way to get them started.

May 12, 2008
Need to understand the goal is a whip starting at the hip and finishing with the arm. This can be done very quickly or not so quickly depending on your time constraints. Compare everything to the linked clips.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I saw Deb Hartwig at a coach's clinic last December, and she had an interesting take on what the throwing hand does when the ball goes back. Most of us teach or have taught "ball to the wall" -- turn the hand backwards as if you're going to touch a wall behind you with the ball. Deb said in actuality, however, top level players tend to have the ball facing down with a loose wrist rather than cocked and facing backwards. This is in both softball and baseball.

May 5, 2008
If you can believe it, as a player, NO ONE ever talked to me about hand position.

However, I've recently tried the ball to the wall thing (it's not what I did growing up) and find that it feels "forced.".

After reading the responses here, the relaxed wrist concept makes the most sense to me. I'll mess with that next time my girls and I play catch.

Oh the glove pointing at the target - not a hard fast rule, like others have mentioned, glove elbow can work just fine. I don't fully extend that glove arm during a throw.

May 12, 2008
I suggest always checking what "makes the most sense" against slow motion video of the best in the world.

If you are standing on a pitchers mound throwing to the plate. At power position the ball should point in the direction of the shortstop similiar to the Whatley picture above. Reaching straight back to throw a ball is forced and not natural. As a college baseball pitcher I made this adjustment and I did alot of swimming and put 6mph on my fastball in a year. I was always taught reach straight back and this is probably one of the factors in why I have a scar on my shoulder from surgery. If you are playing catch with a kid and you lose sight of the ball as she gets herself to the power position she is incorrect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802