Throwing hand placement with runner on first, catcher in throwing stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
lets go around on this again!

DD has been taught and prefers her hand down around her ankle, in beginning one coach actually had her tuck her thumb into her shoe slightly.

others swear by behind glove.

others directly behind mitt but against chest protector

not certain anyone does behind the back anymore

Nov 18, 2015
Behind the back is safest. But only if you intend to catch and block 100% of the balls one handed.

Even with the hand tucked into a shoe or shin guard strap, it's going to be exposed on nearly every swing, b/c human instinct is to bring the hands together. That hand is going to fly up and be hanging in mid-air, as much as she tries to keep it tucked away.

Break the tendency early, and learn to keep the hand behind the glove, then pull the hand back to the chest so that it's always in the gloves "shadow".

In one of the previous iterations of this topic, another poster highlighted a key point: yes - if you have to reach far to the left or right, your hand will be exposed. However, how many hitters will be swinging at pitches where the catcher has to reach that far? And if the catcher has to reach that far, how many batters will actually make contact? And of those contacts, how many of those will be a foul ball directly back to the catcher? We're probably in the .001% by this point.

Jun 27, 2018
Just asking because her catching coach always told her behind the glove, her new HC (who she respects a lot) told her NOT to do that. I figured it was just different coaching styles and player preference. She’s very comfortable with the hand behind the mitt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a runner on and in her secondary stance my DD catcher keeps hers in the "shadow" of the mitt and then pulling her hand back to her chest protector just as Gags stated.

Otherwise she keeps her throwing hand out of the way with it resting to her side typically around her ankle.

May 6, 2015
Behind the back is safest. But only if you intend to catch and block 100% of the balls one handed.

Even with the hand tucked into a shoe or shin guard strap, it's going to be exposed on nearly every swing, b/c human instinct is to bring the hands together. That hand is going to fly up and be hanging in mid-air, as much as she tries to keep it tucked away.

Break the tendency early, and learn to keep the hand behind the glove, then pull the hand back to the chest so that it's always in the gloves "shadow".

In one of the previous iterations of this topic, another poster highlighted a key point: yes - if you have to reach far to the left or right, your hand will be exposed. However, how many hitters will be swinging at pitches where the catcher has to reach that far? And if the catcher has to reach that far, how many batters will actually make contact? And of those contacts, how many of those will be a foul ball directly back to the catcher? We're probably in the .001% by this point.

DD would probably fall over trying to catch like this. she generally tries to have throwing hand meet the glove at about armpit level, as she is rising to throw. also, throwing hand behind glove might protect hand, but then rest of arm, especially elbow, are very exposed. with hand on ankle, it gives her arm a little protection from her leg as well.

Nov 18, 2015
My balance does definitely change when I try the hand behind the glove method. (Must be from those "protective layers" I've acquired over the years).

However, I would also suggest watching her arm closely during the next game, and see how many times it ends up "floating" up away from her ankle. Many of the "action shots" found online (~right at ball/glove impact) have even collegiate-level players ending up with their whole arm and hand exposed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28