Throwing hand behind glove? Why?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When setting up to field a dirt pitch,
Catchers body gets behind the ball and is there to block if need be.
( high bounce)
However
It isnt neccessary to block everything.
The pitches short hops stay low.
Use our glove.

In my original post asked
Does anybody teach fielding grounders with throwing hand behind glove?

Since catchers can field dirt pitches...
And the catchers in this post did so successfully...and transitioned cleanly!
These are clean fielded short hops!

People may want to debate about the two different philosophies and mechanics that can be used.
That is a seperate topic

This point is the catchers, from an athletic position on their knees,(blocking position chest forward) fielded short hop dirt pitches in front of them and transitioned it cleanly by taking throwing hand on top of the ball and out of the glove transitioning successfully!
That is doing a great job!

No hand behind glove fielding short hops.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2016
I'm with RAD on this... The more adept a catcher is at using her hands/glove to pick balls the better. I also agree a catcher needs both skills. But I do see a tendency by catchers and catching coaches that rely on just blocking too much.

I've always tried to teach my DDs and other players to be confident and trust their glove and pick anything you think you can.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I'm with RAD on this... The more adept a catcher is at using her hands/glove to pick balls the better. I also agree a catcher needs both skills. But I do see a tendency by catchers and catching coaches that rely on just blocking too much.

I've always tried to teach my DDs and other players to be confident and trust their glove and pick anything you think you can.

Wow! That umpire was very demonstrative on that Out call.

Mar 6, 2016
Umps don't get to make that call very often in 10U. ;)

He's been around here in OC and Irvine area a while. Gets into it for sure. He got a chance to do that twice that game. Other one my wife didn't get on film on a back pick to 1B to get a girl napping with bases loaded. LOVE getting pick plays with bases loaded. Another advantage lefty catchers have with picks to 1st. (y):p

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I was primarily a catcher but had a mitt with a pocket about the size of a baseball and pretty sure I wasn't as athletic as Natalya. Wouldn't advocate for a difference in training but may add some backhand and forehand work picking in the dirt for when a pitcher totally crosses you up.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I was primarily a catcher but had a mitt with a pocket about the size of a baseball and pretty sure I wasn't as athletic as Natalya. Wouldn't advocate for a difference in training but may add some backhand and forehand work for when a pitcher totally crosses you up.
Hey BigSkyHi is a catcher 👍

Really like working range with athletic mechanics to get body behind the ball.
Helps prepair to be set up for throwing mechanics!
Also like to work glove range to sides of body. Glove range can extend past our shoulders befor needing back hand.
Then absolutely when the pitch is beyond getting behind it, far to the side, go for the backhand and dont let that pitch get by!
Setting the expectation of strong posture to field/pic just infront of body, even when on knees, (like defense fields grounders and shorts hops)
extends glove range beyond those that deliberately put glove between legs which can limit getting pitches to sides.

As for catchers mitts...have seen some super small pockets even on newer style catchers gloves. With excessive padding.
Myself prefer larger pocket.
No thick toilet seat padding around it.
Feeling the ball in the glove is very reassuring!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802