Throwing hand behind glove? Why?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Disclaimer :)
This an observation~ not all coaches comment towards...
So may not include all coaches.

*Why do some coaches tell catchers to put their throwing hand behind their glove on dirt pitches?
*Is that how you teach fielding grounders?

Heard a coach say to catchers this past weekend.
"You dont want to get your hand hit on dirt pitches so put your throwing hand behind your glove."
Really? If thats the case dont put hand where the ball is going.

Do you think its ok to bring in throwing hand on top like fielding a grounder?!!

Prefer to use my throwing hand comming in on top of ball to quickly transition... Hands work together! Can secure the ball, stop the spin from ball popping out of glove. Handle junk in the dirt better. Control the ball,
To help my pop time!

*Does anyone teach fielding grounders with your throwing hand behind your glove?

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020
Disclaimer :)
This an observation~ not all coaches comment towards...
So may not include all coaches.

*Why do some coaches tell catchers to put their throwing hand behind their glove on dirt pitches?
*Is that how you teach fielding grounders?

Heard a coach say to catchers this past weekend.
"You dont want to get your hand hit on dirt pitches so put your throwing hand behind your glove."
Really? If thats the case dont put hand where the ball is going.

Do you think its ok to bring in throwing hand on top like fielding a grounder?!!

Prefer to use my throwing hand comming in on top of ball to quickly transition... Hands work together! Can secure the ball, stop the spin from ball popping out of glove. Handle junk in the dirt better. Control the ball,
To help my pop time!

*Does anyone teach fielding grounders with your throwing hand behind your glove?
Definitely new to the coaching/teaching thing, but hand behind the gloves is something I've never been taught or plan to teach. I'm with you, the hand should be assisting with grounders for quick release and transition. I caught some growing up and the only time my hand was behind anything was awaiting the pitch (behind my leg or back). If the ball was in the dirt I dropped knees and went into the slide mechanic to get to the ball (runners on only) and then I used my throwing hand to help handle the bad pitch.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

It is very hard to teach hand behind the glove because it is not natural. I see it all the time. Just to think how many reps it took to ingrain the less efficient technique, IMO.

May 23, 2015
A catchers job is not to field a bad pitch its to stop it. Yes it takes a lot of reps like anything else in catching. Breaking your hand or finger speeds up the learning process dramatically

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If you are blocking, you aren't fielding. You aren't trying to get the ball into your glove, you're trying to create a barrier for the ball to bounce into. The throwing hand behind the glove keeps the throwing hand protected, and puts the throwing arm into a position that mirrors the catching arm, which helps keep the shoulders square.

Oct 26, 2019
The distinction here, as @Eric F indicated - is fielding vs blocking. No doubt if the throwing hand is exposed it is going to get hit more frequently than if it is behind the glove. I have a girl on our 10U team who tries to pick everything like she is fielding hand she takes it off the throwing hand quite frequently.

when fielding grounders you can move your feet and pick a hop and avoid the in between hop that handcuffs you. This isn’t an option for a catcher - you sorta get the bounce that you get.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think fastpitch catching instruction should differ from baseball catching instruction because the angle at which the ball is thrown. Yes there are times to use the chest protector but there is a time to pick it too. The Best catchers can do both. Teaching catchers to only block is giving up free bases.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think fastpitch catching instruction should differ from baseball catching instruction because the angle at which the ball is thrown. Yes there are times to use the chest protector but there is a time to pick it too. The Best catchers can do both. Teaching catchers to only block is giving up free bases.

My DD has transitioned to picking for most balls in the dirt. However, I'm a believer that a catcher should have all the tools, and understand when to use them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802