throwing/fielding errors, and hitting-based recruitment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Don't know about you guys,
but I'm seeing an unusual amount of throwing/fielding errors in games so far this season:

Side-arm throws from SS to 1B WAY off-line. Throws from shallow OF to HP not even close. Throws from middle IF to 3B wide and into the dugout. etc.
Dropped catches by first baseman. Easy OF fly balls to foul territory missed. Hard grounders through the legs of IF. etc.

Which prompts the question: are these players being recruited based on their ability to "rake" alone?

I do realize that, often times, a roster is made up almost entirely of former pitchers and SS. So these kids need to learn a new spot, and likely one they have never played in before in their careers. And it IS early in the season. But these top-level DI players are making errors that would get you benched on most good travel clubs. Just sayin'...

One surprising refute to my question: LSU freshman SS T.Pleasants has 2 HR's so far this season, and the game announcers noted that she told them that these 2 HR's are the first she has EVER hit. That surprised me.

Jun 8, 2016
One surprising refute to my question: LSU freshman SS T.Pleasants has 2 HR's so far this season, and the game announcers noted that she told them that these 2 HR's are the first she has EVER hit. That surprised me.
I saw an interview where she said the walk-off against OSU was her 1st walk-off...announcers probably misinterpreted that.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I saw an interview where she said the walk-off against OSU was her 1st walk-off...announcers probably misinterpreted that.

Ah... that makes a lot more sense. But would 2 seasoned game announcers like Yvette and Lynn make that sort of mistake? That would also surprise me... Hmmmmm....

Jun 8, 2016
Ah... that makes a lot more sense. But would 2 seasoned game announcers like Yvette and Lynn make that sort of mistake? That would also surprise me... Hmmmmm....
Her LSU bio says she hit 8 HR in her senior year in HS :)

Jun 8, 2016
Back to the OT, the OU IF defense looks as bad as I have ever seen it. Probably doesn't help that 3 out of 4 IFs are new.

Mar 28, 2014
I've noticed the same. Catcher's throws to third going into left field. Outfielders with arms that look like a 12u player. College coaches seem to be taking the old saying "If you hit you will not sit" to a new level.

Jul 2, 2013
We watched college softball all last weekend and noticed the same thing. DD even said she would have been sitting for a lot of the errors those girls were making.

Sep 29, 2014
Not a new phenomena honestly every year if you watch games the errors stand out, and a lot of times that doesn't even count outfielders misplaying balls they should have caught... ever year it's the difference between winning and losing IMO...but if you can put up double digit runs every game you can hide those errors so hitting is king, as you get to the WCWS though you will see errors go down, pitching is better so not as many hits and hits are weaker, plus they do play better D, however you can't put up big numbers against the tougher pitching so the errors are even more costly.

May 1, 2011
Don't know about you guys,
but I'm seeing an unusual amount of throwing/fielding errors in games so far this season:

Side-arm throws from SS to 1B WAY off-line. Throws from shallow OF to HP not even close. Throws from middle IF to 3B wide and into the dugout. etc.
Dropped catches by first baseman. Easy OF fly balls to foul territory missed. Hard grounders through the legs of IF. etc.

Which prompts the question: are these players being recruited based on their ability to "rake" alone?

I do realize that, often times, a roster is made up almost entirely of former pitchers and SS. So these kids need to learn a new spot, and likely one they have never played in before in their careers. And it IS early in the season. But these top-level DI players are making errors that would get you benched on most good travel clubs. Just sayin'...

Uhhhh....no. Taylor Pleasants has hit homeruns before she reached LSU.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I’ve been saying it for years. College defense is secondary. Can you hit? We will find a spot for you.

That back up shortstop who is raking the ball (who has never caught) will be the starting catcher in 2 weeks if the catcher who plays well but hits her weight doesn’t start hitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802