throwing at runners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
When i first read the title of the thread
'throwing at runners'
Was thinking it was going to be about
intentionally by accident pegging runners.

Which can and does happen when defensive players are late!

May 6, 2015
When i first read the title of the thread
'throwing at runners'
Was thinking it was going to be about
intentionally by accident pegging runners.

Which can and does happen when defensive players are late!

DD did just that this past weekend, bunt just in front of batters box, runner was running in fiar territory mostly (think right foot may have stepped on line a few times as she ran for first), DD barehanded ball and made throw, hit batter runner in helmet, batter runner out, and runner from 1B held to second on dead ball.

May 20, 2015
two out back picks with the bases loaded are my favorite! lol

over the years, my travel group ended multiple games and one tournament like that - my catchers ended more than a couple innings like that

1st & 3rd depends on the situation.....speed on 1? speed on 3? outs? score? we had 5 different plays we'd run, depending on situation.......my favorite was to fire down to 3rd, we caught a good number of runners napping on that one

but we practiced all of that a LOT......we had catchers with the arms and willingness to make the throws, we had girls at the other spots that could make the plays and the throws........nothing like teams that make that play and heave the ball into the outfield

DD2 was catching her first varsity game last night (opening day, called her own game in a 14-1 win......lead off, 3 singles with 2 walks and 4 runs scored - shameless dad brag) - she threw down with one of their first base runners, was close but not super close, but let them know she was paying attention and willing.......they didn't attempt to run with any of their limited baserunners.......later on, she was on first, and took an increasingly big lead......finally drew the throw, it went into RF (although back up was there)......that sent us an ENTIRELY different message lol

radness

Dec 13, 2019
DD did just that this past weekend, bunt just in front of batters box, runner was running in fiar territory mostly (think right foot may have stepped on line a few times as she ran for first), DD barehanded ball and made throw, hit batter runner in helmet, batter runner out, and runner from 1B held to second on dead ball.
Good for her finishing the play!
Thats an important moment for the umpire too!

Very helpful for whomever is at first receiving the throw to notice the runner in fair territory, try and offer a target
"inside inside" and stretch...
Still
pegging a runner happens.

Say that because
While sometimes it may be obvious (to us the catcher) the runner is running to first in Fair territory (in the way) *umpires don't always see things the same~
and it's not always 'as obvious' there might be a hindrance by the runner. By atleast showing a target inside, we are attempting to not just blast the ball through the runner...(eventhough that still maybe that the ball is going to peg the runner.)
In other words...
Obviously we should try to make a clean play.
When we can ;).
That said
With no-one else on base...
Would make that throw to first everytime regardless of where the runner is fair or foul territory!

Last edited:

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
why (or under what circumstances) would the batter/runner be out? She has a 3 foot variance from the base path (not the foul line) on each side.

May 6, 2015
why (or under what circumstances) would the batter/runner be out? She has a 3 foot variance from the base path (not the foul line) on each side.
I believe that is for purposes of avoiding a tag pay. I believe on a bunt the runners designated lane to be in is on the foul side of LF foul line. if runner was 3 feet inside the foul line as she approached the bag (say 10 feet away), anyone trying to throw her out would have to be 18 feet up the third base line to have a clear throwing lane.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Disclaimer~Cannot quote the rulebook!
So wont comment to the rule verbage.
That said,
Everytime i fielded a bunt and pegged the batter running to first in fair territory they were called out.

If as a batter/running TO FIRST we could obstruct the throw
IN ANYWAY with our body or arm
By 'coincidently' running in fair territory and then leaning in or have arm with hand reaching in the way...there would have been time i would have.

Other than as a hitter/running to first~
Certainly purposely got my body in front of and in between and directly in the path of a throw going into a Fielder's glove.
To purposely get my body in their first and block/deflect the ball.
OF which was never called out for doing so.
(think of those the runner and ball are getting there at the same time type situations)

Last edited:

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
Interesting, now I'll have to go read the rules. I can't see any way that a batter running to 1B, where she is allowed to be is out because the throw hit her in the helmet.

May 6, 2015
NFHS
"
SECTION 60 THREE-FOOT RUNNING LANE
The three-foot running lane is the space defined by a line drawn 3 feet from and parallel to the
first base foul line starting halfway between home and first base and extending to first base in foul
territory."

"
ART. 5 . . . She runs outside the three-foot (0.91m) lane and, in the judgment of the umpire,
interferes with the fielder taking the throw at first base (there must be a throw); however, the
batter-runner may run outside the three-foot (0.91m) lane to avoid a fielder attempting to field a
batted ball. A runner is considered outside the running lane if either foot is completely outside the
lane and in contact with the ground."

they are not allowed to be in fair territory, they must be in foul territory by the halfway mark

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom