THROW TO WHAT SPOT?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
What is the difference between best ball location for P6 at the catch between knees and feet?

I don’t think I truly understand the question but I would have to say there probably isn’t a difference. With that being said our SS rarely makes a catch and tag but that is a different topic . She believes she short hops the bag entirely to often if trying to hit the bag when throwing from her knees. I believe it may just be a trajectory thing for her or could be a mechanical thing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
  • Began with laying a colorful target (3 rubber sink stoppers are great) on the ground in the outfield near the cut in the grass behind each base.
  • Catcher’s goal to hit the target without the ball going above my head standing near the pitcher’s mound.
  • Teammates breaking on the throw behind the target learning how to break down, receive the ball and make a tag.
  • Rotating a team of 12 with three at catcher position making five throws to each base and three at each base, you can get 15 throws and 15 tags each in short order.

As throwing mechanics and arm strength increase move the target closer, with the ultimate goal of a knee high throw for a tag play.

Nov 18, 2015
I have no idea what Ichiro is pitching in that ad, but I want some!

Seriously. It may not be obvious if you’re just scrolling down the page - watch the video until the end. The last 10 seconds are (to me) even more impressive than the first part.

Probably did it on the first try too.

Nov 18, 2015
The “Miracle Throw” ad - at the end, Ichiro shows how they relay stolen signs in the Nippon League. :)

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Target we use at lessons.
This one on net was hard foam.
Also use this other home made style.
Take an industrial floor mat cut into 4 rectangles. Mine 14"x20" Add duct tape.
I use 3m spray adheisive first for extra extra tact.
A couple carabeiner's.
Both make a nice smack/pop noise when hit! ZAP!
20170223_145832.jpg
durable and repairable
20200817_185652-1.jpg

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
another thing I would do was to tell Dd to close her eyes and throw. amazing how accurate she still was (most throws within a 4 foot radius of bag). teaching her to trust her instincts, she knows where 2B is, she has made the throw hundreds of times. she actually used this while playing OF once, had a HP assist from OF, did a do or die on hard ground ball in gap, said she did not look as she came up, just threw to where she knew HP was.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
another thing I would do was to tell Dd to close her eyes and throw. amazing how accurate she still was (most throws within a 4 foot radius of bag). teaching her to trust her instincts, she knows where 2B is, she has made the throw hundreds of times. she actually used this while playing OF once, had a HP assist from OF, did a do or die on hard ground ball in gap, said she did not look as she came up, just threw to where she knew HP was.
:) we may get dirt in our eye!
Finish the play ! 👍

Jun 8, 2016
For our 10U team we basically just hoped it didn't end up in right center.
Yeah DD's 12U team was like that this spring.. :rolleyes: When I was working with Marcela on throw downs I almost questioned whether it was worth it to actually throw it to the bag :LOL:

They have a new catcher from out of state now so hopefully that improves moving forward.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101