THROW TO WHAT SPOT?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Catchers throwing to what spot?
What are the observations on these specifics?

My take on this, we can
Throw the ball say waist high or 3 feet above intended target.
Have heard some coaches say chest high throw.
Or
Throw to the base.
(meaning just in front of lead corner few inches above ground)

While its a good throw to throw to the base level throw 3 feet high,
( and encourage this)
it does involve time for fielder to catch it and bring tag down.

*Would also like to encourage getting a bit more technical on throwing to a spot at the base itself!
Essentially throwing to where fielders glove catches the throw and runner slides/dives into glove.
(no extra glove movement to place tag)
Really great for back picks!
ZAP!

Yes there maybe times even with that specific spot fielder will need to locate runner and tag. It will still be closer.
With really fast runners and plays the quickest play is no down time in between catching throw and placing tag.

Catchers hit our spots!
Can be the difference between an out or a runner advancing!

LET'S THROW RUNNERS OUT !!!

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
I have always instructed DD to aim for the front corner (ie closest to HP) of the bag. SS natural motion (and all her teams have SS covering) will have her move glove right in front of bag, blocking the runners foot (Ok to block with the ball). quickest route to tag I think. I loathe when they try to slap tag down onto leg as runner comes in, get glove in the way right away, and adjust as needed side to side, but get it down in the dirt. unfortunately our one SS seems to have been coached she must be straddling bag, so we have missed some tags, but DD is throwing about 1 runner per game (usually early, then opposition gets more selective in their running game, sometimes even after close call or a dropped ball by SS).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
For our 10U team we basically just hoped it didn't end up in right center.
Well...would rather have too much on the throw and aim better...
Than a coach saying bounce it...when they clearly can throw in the air.

Have fun Uncdrew, from your posts looks like your players will get a coach who seeks out good knowledge to share!

May 6, 2015
For our 10U team we basically just hoped it didn't end up in right center.

you probably see one of my pet peeves, girls getting in backup position 3-5 feet behind player they are backing up. unless they are lucky enough to get hit by the ball, way too close, especially if there is any change of direction. always stressed backup should be 10-15 behind the player you are backing up (in reality, if 2B is in proper backup position for throwdown, at 10u, CF might not need to move an inch to backup 2B backing up SS).

Oct 4, 2018
Well...would rather have too much on the throw and aim better...
Than a coach saying bounce it...when they clearly can throw in the air.

Have fun Uncdrew, from your posts looks like your players will get a coach who seeks out good knowledge to share!

Our team disbanded. :)

I was a coach for about a week and a half. Best coaching gig ever. I'm always happy to help, but I'm not cut out to be a coach. I expect too much and don't know enough about how to coach. Those two don't go together well.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
My DD claims if she is throwing from her knees, she is throwing to a spot behind the bag. Imagine attempting to throw a low long hop to someone standing at the edge of the grass/dirt (IHOW). If she is throwing from her feet she attempts to put the ball on the right side corner of the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 7, 2015
SoCal
My DD claims if she is throwing from her knees, she is throwing to a spot behind the bag. Imagine attempting to throw a low long hop to someone standing at the edge of the grass/dirt (IHOW). If she is throwing from her feet she attempts to put the ball on the right side corner of the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the difference between best ball location for P6 at the catch between knees and feet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802