Throw the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Pet peeve of mine. Catcher double pumps because SS wasn't there yet. Catch and throw! SS will either get there or get replaced. You don't want the SS vacating their position early either, but come on its not really that hard to coach SS to hold their ground and get there.

May 6, 2015
if they wait for the field playere to be in position, they will never throw anybody out. I tell DD you know where you need to put the ball, the defense knows where you are going to put it (hopefully), fire. if it was a good throw and they are not there, that is field players fault (whether that be F3, F4, F5, F6). now if your throw is awful, that is on you.

Mar 6, 2016
Unfortunately, sometimes in 10u Rec ball some coaches will send their runner 1/2 down the line hoping you try to back pick or get in a rundown because the odds that you have good clean catch and throws by the C and 3B are in his favor. In our local REC league, ALL girls must play infield during the game. And by simple math, ya gotta eventually put one girl who has no clue and literally can't catch yet at 3rd. So, what i found that quickly stops base runner "shenanigans" at 3rd as I call it is just simply have the catcher stand up and stand with the ball at home. the runner and idiot coach will have his runner 1/2 way down the line hopping around daring you to throw. Don't do ANYTHING.... have catcher just stand there with the "You wanna come home? Well, I have the ball right here.... whatchya gonna do?" look on their face.

This pisses the 3rd base coach off completely because his bush league 10u crap won't work now. They get frustrated after 3 pitches and we just wait. Defense doesn't have to do anything. Eventually the runner goes back to 3rd or the ump calls time. More often than not, we get the batter out and the runner never scores.

Now, if I have a girl at 3rd who knows how to catch the ball, hell yes, we will back pick your azz. We have a couple different back pick plays to entice the runner. But, when you have girls that the ball would probably just hit them in the face because they have never played...just hold the ball and stand in front of home. The "shenanigans" stop very quickly. The pitcher can also just calmly walk up and get handed the ball. Sometimes, pitchers in 10u can't catch the ball coming back to them from catcher either. LOL

Let's just say I'm glad my daughter is in 12u now.... the 10u base runner crap doesn't fly in 12u.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Unfortunately, sometimes in 10u Rec ball some coaches will send their runner 1/2 down the line hoping you try to back pick or get in a rundown because the odds that you have good clean catch and throws by the C and 3B are in his favor. In our local REC league, ALL girls must play infield during the game. And by simple math, ya gotta eventually put one girl who has no clue and literally can't catch yet at 3rd. So, what i found that quickly stops base runner "shenanigans" at 3rd as I call it is just simply have the catcher stand up and stand with the ball at home. the runner and idiot coach will have his runner 1/2 way down the line hopping around daring you to throw. Don't do ANYTHING.... have catcher just stand there with the "You wanna come home? Well, I have the ball right here.... whatchya gonna do?" look on their face.

This pisses the 3rd base coach off completely because his bush league 10u crap won't work now. They get frustrated after 3 pitches and we just wait. Defense doesn't have to do anything. Eventually the runner goes back to 3rd or the ump calls time. More often than not, we get the batter out and the runner never scores.

Now, if I have a girl at 3rd who knows how to catch the ball, hell yes, we will back pick your azz. We have a couple different back pick plays to entice the runner. But, when you have girls that the ball would probably just hit them in the face because they have never played...just hold the ball and stand in front of home. The "shenanigans" stop very quickly. The pitcher can also just calmly walk up and get handed the ball. Sometimes, pitchers in 10u can't catch the ball coming back to them from catcher either. LOL

Let's just say I'm glad my daughter is in 12u now.... the 10u base runner crap doesn't fly in 12u.
I’m sorry, but I disagree with what the other teams are doing AND what you’re doing. Coaches should be teaching the game the way it is meant to be played. If a runner hesitates, there are two plays, throw to the bag for a pick and throw the ball back to pitcher in the circle. Practice both. You may give up 50 runs before the girls figure it out, but figuring it out is what’s important! Quit worrying about winning in 10U rec ball and teach the game the way it’s meant to be played at older ages. You may not agree with me tonight, but you will in a few years.

Mar 6, 2016
I understand your point. But my intent or objective isn't to win. I wouldn't put a girl who can't catch at 3rd or a pitcher in who struggles throwing strikes but wants to try like I do every game if I only cared about winning. Heck our league doesnt even keep records unless tournament. I only do it for a couple pitches and the running 1/2 way stops. But after a girl gets hit by a throw bcuz she literally cant catch yet...I tend to feel for her and not do it again that inning. Then work on it in practice. More if a safety thing than winning.

Aug 20, 2017
I’ve seen some teams walk the pitcher over to the 3B runner when they got a long way down the line. Made the runner to make a decision quicker and eliminated some of the posturing by the catcher. Now this would only apply to girls that are 10U or younger. As they get older catchers just need to get it back to pitcher quickly and pitcher can control runners

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I understand your point. But my intent or objective isn't to win. I wouldn't put a girl who can't catch at 3rd or a pitcher in who struggles throwing strikes but wants to try like I do every game if I only cared about winning. Heck our league doesnt even keep records unless tournament. I only do it for a couple pitches and the running 1/2 way stops. But after a girl gets hit by a throw bcuz she literally cant catch yet...I tend to feel for her and not do it again that inning. Then work on it in practice. More if a safety thing than winning.

The point of jdaddys post which i AGREE with entirely!....
Is to teach the game correctly how it should be played from the early stages.
Developing this will pay off greatly!

Especially since you posted your goal is not to win.
Would hope goal is to teach the correct way the game is played!

Also appears you are not into the 'shenanigans' sooo
Dont add to shenanigans:)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Pet peeve of mine. Catcher double pumps because SS wasn't there yet. Catch and throw! SS will either get there or get replaced. You don't want the SS vacating their position early either, but come on its not really that hard to coach SS to hold their ground and get there.

At younger/more inexperienced ages, I actually hope to see one or two of these where the catcher throws and the SS isn't there in time (or not paying attention or whatever). When it happens and the ball goes into the outfield, your catcher learns she can trust you when you tell her "Throw it; if they're not there, it's not your fault. They're the one in trouble." The infielder learns to get to the base when you direct your ire at her. The CF learns to pay attention on those plays, too.

May 20, 2015
10u shenanigans on the base paths are comical sometimes; we used to bring the 3b up with the runner, inside the base path, and sneak the SS over to 3rd....when you get the 2nd or 3rd girl out in a game, they tend to smarten up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812