Thoughts??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
We have been working on the inside pitch as of late which has been a problem area for her but she seems to be making big improvements with it. She was working on getting inside of it instead of rotating around it and pulling it. In the video she was actually trying to hit it to Center or Right field. The first pitch isn’t inside but the others are inner half.

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/cgw4KjhS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
We have been working on the inside pitch as of late which has been a problem area for her but she seems to be making big improvements with it. She was working on getting inside of it instead of rotating around it and pulling it. In the video she was actually trying to hit it to Center or Right field. The first pitch isn’t inside but the others are inner half.

https://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/cgw4KjhS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you mean pulling the ball foul? Nothing wrong with pulling an inside pitch. Keeping your hands inside the ball is good but can you
tell me what is the intent of having a goal of hitting an inside pitch to right field? You can keep your hands inside of the ball on an inside pitch and still pull it. Take a look at the top right of the Miggy matrix.

[video]
r87Dl0L.gif
[/video]

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
Did you mean pulling the ball foul? Nothing wrong with pulling an inside pitch. Keeping your hands inside the ball is good but can you
tell me what is the intent of having a goal of hitting an inside pitch to right field? You can keep your hands inside of the ball on an inside pitch and still pull it. Take a look at the top right of the Miggy matrix.

[video]
r87Dl0L.gif
[/video]

1). Yes, that is what I meant pulling it foul

2). Agree 100%

3). It was for a certain feel....... She was having the problem of swinging around the spine on the inside pitch and pulling it 50ft foul. I like to give her a Que to "Get Forward" which means to her, to get the hands out front. If you can not "Get Forward" or get the hands inside of an inside pitch you have no chance of keeping it fair IMO. So by having her try to hit the inside pitch up the middle or opposite field it gave her the feel of what getting forward is. I don't think there is anyway someone can hit an inside pitch to center or oppo with any power without keeping the hands inside of the ball IMO. A hitter can swing around the spine and keep a middle out pitch fair but good luck doing it on an inside pitch.

4). Sure she has been doing it consistently in games as of late and that was the point of the drill to teach her what staying inside of an inside pitch felt like. I tried to tell her it is the same feeling as hitting an outside pitch oppo but she couldn't make the connection.

Feb 16, 2015
South East

[video]
r87Dl0L.gif
[/video]

1). Yes, that is what I meant pulling it foul

2). Agree 100%

3). It was for a certain feel....... She was having the problem of swinging around the spine on the inside pitch and pulling it 50ft foul. I like to give her a Que to "Get Forward" which means to her, to get the hands out front. If you can not "Get Forward" or get the hands inside of an inside pitch you have no chance of keeping it fair IMO. So by having her try to hit the inside pitch up the middle or opposite field it gave her the feel of what getting forward is. I don't think there is anyway someone can hit an inside pitch to center or oppo with any power without keeping the hands inside of the ball IMO. A hitter can swing around the spine and keep a middle out pitch fair but good luck doing it on an inside pitch.

4). Sure she has been doing it consistently in games as of late and that was the point of the drill to teach her what staying inside of an inside pitch felt like. I tried to tell her it is the same feeling as hitting an outside pitch oppo but she couldn't make the connection.

Pattar

I would like to hear more from you about the drill.... what are your thoughts about what she was trying to accomplish during the hitting session?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Your DD needs educated hands. IMO . Her hands are outta sequence. That's just what I saw in her video. Mind you I only looked through it twice. Maybe others can clarify. Strong kid . 18 u player?

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Your DD needs educated hands. IMO . Her hands are outta sequence. That's just what I saw in her video. Mind you I only looked through it twice. Maybe others can clarify. Strong kid . 18 u player?

Can you elaborate on educated hands? Out of sequence in which way? I have heard the the saying but I am not very clear on what is meant by it..... She is 14 will be 15 in two months.

Edit: From what I understand about about educated hands is just the ability to get the barrel to the ball in different zones?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Looks good for 14. My DD will turn 12 in April. Their swings look similar. I noticed that her barrel is working back to her shoulder on the first swing but not as close on the last two. This is something that we have been working on with my DD and when she tries to hit oppo her bat stays more upright. Game swing therefore isn't the same.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Looks good for 14. My DD will turn 12 in April. Their swings look similar. I noticed that her barrel is working back to her shoulder on the first swing but not as close on the last two. This is something that we have been working on with my DD and when she tries to hit oppo her bat stays more upright. Game swing therefore isn't the same.

I would say that my DD is opposite of what you are working on with your daughter. She tends to lay the bat flatter on the middle to out than she does on the inner half. The first pitch was over the heart of the plate (trying for inner half) and the other to were on the inner half. I find with her if she flattens the bat to much on the inner half pitches she tends to rotate and swing around the body causing her to hit around the ball. The drill that was being performed was intended to help her stay inside the inner half pitches.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101