Thoughts please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2018
So much good here. If it were my student we’d work tirelessly to correct the “anchor” because I agree that’s a big problem as already stated by others. We’d work to bring the right knee with all the way through the back chain. At least that would be what I want her working with mentally. Being new to 43’ hints at her age, and this is common in my opinion at that age. (14 or so) Best thing for her now is to hit the weights and work on core strength and stamina. I can see her intent, but she’s not strong enough yet. She looks like she’ll get there if she focuses on her overall strength and agility. Tough to do as the pitching coach, but not impossible. Keep working the bottom half forward and keeping her stacked through the back chain and hopefully as she gets stronger it’ll translate to full pitch.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She doesn’t seem to get sideways towards 3rd base. Power producer?

She looks open to me.

Personally, I don't agree that she is late getting off the rubber. At least not enough to worry about:

View attachment 26373
Maybe she's closer to like 2:45 than exactly 3:00, but it close enough. Through the pre-motion and into this position, she is damn near picture perfect.

Its right here that things start to go haywire and its directly caused by the anchor of a drag foot:

View attachment 26374

Starting from here all the way to release, her body is out of synch because that anchor is slowing down the entire bottom half (not too mention that just looks painful as hell too). If you get that drag foot corrected, I'm betting you'll see most of the other problems disappear quickly.

The more I watch it at full speed to more sluggish she looks.

The anchor and knee lift were my first two adjustments. I just choose the knee lift first. The anchor is like establishing a second throwing position.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Personally, I don't agree that she is late getting off the rubber. At least not enough to worry about:

View attachment 26373
Maybe she's closer to like 2:45 than exactly 3:00, but it close enough. Through the pre-motion and into this position, she is damn near picture perfect.

Its right here that things start to go haywire and its directly caused by the anchor of a drag foot:

View attachment 26374

Starting from here all the way to release, her body is out of synch because that anchor is slowing down the entire bottom half (not too mention that just looks painful as hell too). If you get that drag foot corrected, I'm betting you'll see most of the other problems disappear quickly.

Some how the back knee turns inward with the back foot collapsed. Not sure how that is happening, 🤔

Jan 28, 2017
Your hip is going to follow your ankle. If the push after the drive foot crosses the rubber And your a

View attachment 26373

View attachment 26374

This is what I teach and take what makes sense to you and leave the rest.
1. I like a double leg pulse. I do not see this with the left foot and the first pulse with the right foot is at 3 o'clock. I like it as the stride foot crosses the rubber.
2. The pulse will help raise the heel which brings the knee forward. As you pulse squeeze the right glute and it extends the hip forward (stacked joints). Try and keep your drive ankle up and out, your hips will follow. The young lady above when she pulses at 3 o'clock (late) turns her heel down because it is so late and her hips follow the foot. Then she does an awesome job turning her knee but if the hip was extended it wouldn't be nearly as much work and posture would be so much better.
3. She has to lean forward for her to get her knee under her and needs time because the first move was late.

I think she is really close. Probably very coachable and be careful that you don't over coach things. I guarantee if her right foot pulsed as her left foot crossed the rubber and immediately squeezed the right glute her posture and drag would look totally different for the better.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Mike,

Do you think the Queen of the hill will help create a sprinters mentality, quickness? Focus on the legs and loosing up the whip/lower arm.
I'm a big fan of Q of the H but I see other things like ankle and foot stiffness that can be addressed. Some great observations and comments. Lots of pitchers bypass the drive leg like a pogo stick over it with the stride leg. Losing the posture and position to effectively drive with that leg. When that happens, the momentum of stride leg pulls the drive leg but the hip has no flex reflex action . In the pictures , it looks to vertical a tad early.

Attachments

• 20220831_063005.jpg
    20220831_063005.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220831_062635.jpg
    20220831_062635.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 14
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I'm a big fan of Q of the H but I see other things like ankle and foot stiffness that can be addressed. Some great observations and comments. Lots of pitchers bypass the drive leg like a pogo stick over it with the stride leg. Losing the posture and position to effectively drive with that leg. When that happens, the momentum of stride leg pulls the drive leg but the hip has no flex reflex action . In the pictures , it looks to vertical a tad early.

Agree, she short changed a good position to lift the knee. I did mention that she stood up to soon. But, not bad first try. lol

She needs more of this,

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Going to work on not throwing out the anchor when it should be explosive. Stay on the toes with the back foot as it drags/glides forward. Just copy Amanda. The anchor is slowing everything down.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
If you can get her to get up on her toe rather than dragging her foot sideways and stop her from collapsing when she plants she’ll pick up 5 mph.

Overall, it looks pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog