Thoughts or Suggestions 2nd year 8u DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
My daughter enjoyed using at 28" youth wood bat. Probably at least a -5 (never weighed) - so not what most would consider a "heavy" bat. Might be a good starting point - plus the feedback of learning to find the sweet spot.

Oct 2, 2017
That is one hell of a swing for an 8u player! So much weight transfer that her back toe almost pushes forward! That's elite stuff right there!

Thanks for the kind words, she puts in the work LOL. Right now I'm trying to get her to understand that she stays back until heel strike before release the upper half.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
20190514C.PNG
She begins her swing before toe touch. Here she has dropped her rear forearm/elbow as part of the swing forward process.

1) Coil inward longer as she strides. As soon as the hips begin to open, the swing starts, and the elbow drops. You can practice holding an inward coil in front of a mirror.

2) Notice how the bat head did not make any movement backwards toward the catcher as a result of the elbow drop. She had the bat head in the right position during the stride, but the elbow drop did not result in any early bat movement/speed.

3) I like how she strides with her back leg, and keeps the back heel on the ground. Very nice. Don't change that.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
View attachment 14171
She begins her swing before toe touch. Here she has dropped her rear forearm/elbow as part of the swing forward process.

1) Coil inward longer as she strides. As soon as the hips begin to open, the swing starts, and the elbow drops. You can practice holding an inward coil in front of a mirror.

2) Notice how the bat head did not make any movement backwards toward the catcher as a result of the elbow drop. She had the bat head in the right position during the stride, but the elbow drop did not result in any early bat movement/speed.

3) I like how she strides with her back leg, and keeps the back heel on the ground. Very nice. Don't change that.
This is from yesterday practice. It was a little better. It almost seems like there is a string tied to her elbow and front foot. causing it to drop early.

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
This is from yesterday practice. It was a little better. It almost seems like there is a string tied to her elbow and front foot. causing it to drop early.

Coach looks scared... that's a good sign. Congrats! That's one nice swing, she's going to be a good one. Unreal coordination for somebody that age

May 12, 2016
You know I'm not a professional.. lol. But common sense tells me to go very very slow with any changes, even in the off season. She has a great base swing to work with. Like most people are saying, ahead of the curve. I'm not saying don't look for improvements, but any suggested changes I would get lots of feedback from various sources.. that's just my two cents.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449