Thoughts or Suggestions 2nd year 8u DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
If you ask me any 8U player who has an athletic swing and is making contact is not worth messing around with. Just let her play.

Yeah I hear ya, I usually don't do much to change anything, just small stuff here or there, but nothing to frequently.

Oct 2, 2017
The problem with choking up with a heavier bat is that the hands and body still have to support moving that weight around. The "swing weight" is less when you choke up, but the static weight is not. If the heavier bat is causing problems with her mechanics, it's too heavy. I'm a fan of heavier bats for training purposes, but only for hitters who have established a good swing pattern. 8yos aren't usually in that group.

She is using a 28"-16oz right now. Which I think is avg. for her age at 8.

Sep 29, 2014
Yeah at 8U I'm not getting her a heavier bat unless she has had some kind of growth spurt which it looks like she hasn't. Biggest thing I look for at this age is the constant weak dribblers to first and pitcher that is usually a sign of something needing work, dependent on pitching of course she should be hitting the ball sharply past the pitcher and getting some hits to the left side if she is doing that she is fine.

Oct 2, 2017
Yeah at 8U I'm not getting her a heavier bat unless she has had some kind of growth spurt which it looks like she hasn't. Biggest thing I look for at this age is the constant weak dribblers to first and pitcher that is usually a sign of something needing work, dependent on pitching of course she should be hitting the ball sharply past the pitcher and getting some hits to the left side if she is doing that she is fine.

She seems to hit pretty consisten SS/Left C - 2nd/Center. She does have a 27/17oz - Not sure that would make any difference.

Oct 2, 2017
DD swung a 29/16.5 Mike Halo Lite at 8u, I agree 28" is a common size for that age

She said she felt comfortable with the bat she is using so, she's not changing which is fine. I still think it would be a good Idea though to swing a heavier bat during a practice session for some swings, just to build some strength.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
She said she felt comfortable with the bat she is using so, she's not changing which is fine. I still think it would be a good Idea though to swing a heavier bat during a practice session for some swings, just to build some strength.

ONLY if it doesn't affect her mechanics. This is really important. At this age, building muscle memory for good movement patterns is more critical than getting stronger with poor movements. Swings where the good movement pattern breaks down disrupts the process of building muscle memory. The same thing happens with high-speed/high-rep drills.

Oct 2, 2017
ONLY if it doesn't affect her mechanics. This is really important. At this age, building muscle memory for good movement patterns is more critical than getting stronger with poor movements. Swings where the good movement pattern breaks down disrupts the process of building muscle memory. The same thing happens with high-speed/high-rep drills.

100% agree

Oct 4, 2018
But if the bat is so heavy it's screwing up her form, not sure that's good either

I listened in on several parents and hitting coaches and all advised AGAINST using heavy bats at the 10 and under age range. Several listed injuries and such from trying to force strength too much.

It all made sense to me.

Then again, my daughter was correctly using a 31" bat as an 8 year old. We come from tall, strong stock. :)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad