Thoughts or Suggestions 2nd year 8u DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Any thoughts or suggestions on DD Game swing. Here lately she has been hitting hard grounders/low line drives to SS or 2nd. Thanks for the suggestions. Something I noticed is that she gets "Squated" into her back leg a bit much. Don't know if that's really an issue or not.

Aug 20, 2017
Very strong swing for 8U! I wouldnt worry about her "squat" too much unless you notice her head coming way up during stride and into contact or she doesnt advance during her stride. Looks like she stays down pretty good through her swing and is advancing during stride. This swing looks a little late and she contacted the top of the ball. WIsh I had more but she looks really good

Oct 2, 2017
Very strong swing for 8U! I wouldnt worry about her "squat" too much unless you notice her head coming way up during stride and into contact or she doesnt advance during her stride. Looks like she stays down pretty good through her swing and is advancing during stride. This swing looks a little late and she contacted the top of the ball. WIsh I had more but she looks really good

Yeah she usually stays down on her advance. Something else. I don't know if my understanding of the swing is correct or not. She doesn't go to a hitting coach, I simply come here for help and try to teach her from there. The hands should not be loading back. It should be the body coiling as you make the stride that "Moves" or "Loads" the hands back? Correct? As of right now, it seems that she is actively using her hands instead of her core.

Aug 20, 2017
You should see some pull back with rear elbow during stride. Your DD looks to have a really nice pull back. Some teach to walk away from hands but I like teaching the pull back. The front hip should compress against the rear hip which is coil. This can be preset in the stance but it must stay compressed throughout the swing. Most coil during the knee lift portion of the stride. You want to feel tension in your back butt cheek when you coil. Feel like you are taking your back butt cheek towards the pitcher some. It’s hard to tell from this angle but I wouldn’t mess with coil too much just yet

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I don't think she is squatting to much, just has a early loading action. I look for this in my hitters swings. They are learning about early loading.

Sep 29, 2014
Talk about a lot to like in a little swing I think for now i would try and get her to get the feel for the sequence.

She doesn't quite have it down that she need to be at toe touch/heel plant with the bat still back then release

Both of these are heel plant feeling the right sequence is key...but keep up the good work she is looking good for 8U

Attachments

• littleheelplant.PNG
    littleheelplant.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 20
  • lauren foot plant.PNG
    lauren foot plant.PNG
    57.3 KB · Views: 20
Jun 8, 2016
Any thoughts or suggestions on DD Game swing. Here lately she has been hitting hard grounders/low line drives to SS or 2nd. Thanks for the suggestions. Something I noticed is that she gets "Squated" into her back leg a bit much. Don't know if that's really an issue or not.

If that is coach pitch I like the way the coach is throwing the ball in there.

Edit: ..and nice improvement over when you first posted her. Keep throwing to her, in particular
I would work her low so she can try to self-correct to be able to make the body/plane adjustments necessary to hit those pitches on a line into the grass...

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Talk about a lot to like in a little swing I think for now i would try and get her to get the feel for the sequence.

She doesn't quite have it down that she need to be at toe touch/heel plant with the bat still back then release

Both of these are heel plant feeling the right sequence is key...but keep up the good work she is looking good for 8U
Talked to her about that the other day. Now it's just putting it into action. It's hard for her to really feel it out.

Oct 2, 2017

If that is coach pitch I like the way the coach is throwing the ball in there.

Edit: ..and nice improvement over when you first posted her. Keep throwing to her, in particular
I would work her low so she can try to self-correct to be able to make the body/plane adjustments necessary to hit those pitches on a line into the grass...
I will look into the pitch location low. Also yes it is coach pitch. She has been fortunate that every team she has been for coach pitch. The coaches zoom it in there pretty good. No lobbing the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802