Thoughts on this swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I agree Clem.. the point I am trying to make is we shouldn't always jump to conclusions .. amateur or pro. What I see happen a lot on here when we see a young girl or boy in this position ... it is classified as arm bar.
Of course..but if a parent is coming on here their kid is probably not the reigning NL MVP so the starting assumption(s) may be a bit different.

Oct 2, 2017
I agree Clem.. the point I am trying to make is we shouldn't always jump to conclusions .. amateur or pro. What I see happen a lot on here when we see a young girl or boy in this position ... it is classified as arm bar.
To be honest I havent read this entire thread, that being said, IMO kids who we see on here, usually do not have a problem of arm barring. As in that is the main action causing the problem, I would venture more to say that it is a symptom of Elbow drag. Elbow drag forces the straightening of the lead arm.

May 12, 2016
To be honest I havent read this entire thread, that being said, IMO kids who we see on here, usually do not have a problem of arm barring. As in that is the main action causing the problem, I would venture more to say that it is a symptom of Elbow drag. Elbow drag forces the straightening of the lead arm.
I meant bat drag.. not arm bar LOL

May 12, 2016
Of course..but if a parent is coming on here their kid is probably not the reigning NL MVP so the starting assumption(s) may be a bit different.
Don't like making assumptions when we are talking about somebodies kid and how they should improve.. not saying you do either. But that's my point, don't assume

Jun 8, 2016
Don't like making assumptions when we are talking about somebodies kid and how they should improve.. not saying you do either. But that's my point, don't assume
Sure, I agree. That said if somebody says a kid has bat drag, based upon some definition they use, but then back that up by correctly identifying the upstream actions which are faulty, what difference does it make what they call it?

Oct 2, 2017
IMO, I think the main root cause Elbow Drag or Bat drag is lack of awareness of the hands, In youth players, Dare I say take your hands to the ball. Not so much in Pros. Plus other factors of reaction to pitch location and speed and most imprtantly timing, which effects body mechanics.

It seems its a little harder to diagnose off of a moving ball. If you get a player on a tee and they perform it correctly you know that some other factor is causing the issue. Now if they do have drag etc on a tee, I think its safe to say thats the issue. IMO

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
IMO, I think the main root cause Elbow Drag or Bat drag is lack of awareness of the hands, In youth players, Dare I say take your hands to the balll. Not so much in Pros. Plus other factors of reaction to pitch location and speed and most imprtantly timing, which effects body mechanics.

It seems its a little harder to diagnose off of a moving ball. If you get a player on a tee and they perform it correctly you know that some other factor is causing the issue. Now if they do have drag etc on a tee, I think its safe to say thats the issue. IMO

Use the hands and LAG the barrel or don’t use the hands and DRAG the barrel.

Oct 2, 2017
Use the hands and LAG the barrel or don’t use the hands and DRAG the barrel.

I think in the hitting world, we got so afraid of using the hands because that's "Pushing" the barrel. Well, maybe it is "pushing", but when it comes to youth player development, the vast majority that I see (My DD's age) do not have a issue of pushing, they have a issue of not using the hands and dragging. I guess you can say dead hands. As they get older in the game you can then start to dial it back a bit. JMO

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Sure, I agree. That said if somebody says a kid has bat drag, based upon some definition they use, but then back that up by correctly identifying the upstream actions which are faulty, what difference does it make what they call it?
Personally makes no difference to me what they call it. It's action of identifying bat drag(or whatever you want to call it) when there is no bat drag(or whatever you want to call it)... and all the remedies to fix the action when it's not the problem

Jul 29, 2013
The best way to eliminate bat drag is to teach the hands working against each other- push AND pull, to create torque on the handle .... turn the barrel...
Things go wrong when the hands work together, either pushing OR pulling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2