Thoughts on this drill??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
My daughters coach recommended this drill
Short Bat Bottom Hand Tee Drill
Any thoughts? Useful? My dd thinks it is a waste of time. Thought I would check with the experts!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The athlete is working on PULLING the bat through the zone"......That is worrisome

What did the coach see in your daughters swing that made them think this drill would be helpful? What is he attempting to fix?

Oct 16, 2015
"The athlete is working on PULLING the bat through the zone"......That is worrisome

What did the coach see in your daughters swing that made them think this drill would be helpful? What is he attempting to fix?

I asked the coach and he said that this should help with keeping her left shoulder in?? That it helps promote line drives and better contact. I've seen them do the drill on 1 knee and I don't get it.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If you set up lots of stations with kids doing all kinds of different drills it helps pass the time and to the casual observer it looks like you know what you are doing. :)

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Good instructors only use a drill for two purposes:

1) Introduction of a new concept

2) Remediation of a very specific issue

All to often drills only focus on a very specific part of the full motion or worse yet do not represent what actually happens in full motion. Drills should only be used very sparingly for a specific purpose, not every time as part of a workout or warmup.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
I asked the coach and he said that this should help with keeping her left shoulder in?? That it helps promote line drives and better contact. I've seen them do the drill on 1 knee and I don't get it.

My DD was having a horrible time with hitting weak pop ups and not making solid contact. Took her to a batting instructor that had her do one handed hitting with the top hand, and bottom hand and focus on keeping the front shoulder closed and hitting back up the middle. She was opening the front shoulder way too early. The drills helped her.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you set up lots of stations with kids doing all kinds of different drills it helps pass the time and to the casual observer it looks like you know what you are doing. :)

A personal pet peeve of mine is when an instructor/coach sets up a bunch of drills and there is no one to supervise any of them. The way someone interprets and performs a drill can be dramatically different than what is intended.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
Coach sounds like he may not know why he's using it, but it's not a bad drill for hand speed and/or staying inside & through if that's something that needs work. Tim Walton & Mike Candrea both use/teach derivatives of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood