Thoughts on the Shoeless Jane gloves?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 21, 2019
I have 2 girls in need of new gloves. In an ideal world we'd pull up to a sporting goods store and let them try on every great glove out there and I'd let them pick based on their preference. But we don't get that option so I'm down to going off other people's opinions, like yours, mixed in with what I've seen around the parks.

Any thoughts on the Shoeless Jane gloves? Based on what I see online (again not ideal) they seem to have all the specifications that help fit smaller hands and a fast break in period. As a player I always preferred a softer leather glove so my tendency is to look for that for my kids too. Just wondering if anyone has had any real use feedback on the Shoeless Janes...size, weight, break in, longevity, etc?

In case I come across someone that can really make a recommendation and could use some kid info... have a 14 yo that plays CF and 2B. She's 5'1'' and weights about 92 pounds...very thin, small hands. My other daughter is a 12 yo that catches and plays 3B and occasionally some middle infield. Its the fielding glove she needs, not a mitt. The 12 yo has a bigger build, and not a big hand but more of a average size. She's about 4'10", 95 pounds.

Thanks for any input!

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Based on the one or two that I've come across in person, they seem way over-oiled and heavy. I'm honestly not sure how well they'll hold up to the rigors of 12u and 14u ball. If smaller finger stalls and openings are going to be a big factor in your choice, I'd give Bradley gloves a hard look. He has a 30 day, no questions asked return policy (I've seen him take back some gloves that were trashed). If it's just "Eh, it would be nice but it's not a deal breaker" then you have a world of options that I think would be a better investment than the Shoeless Jane gloves.

Your mileage may very and all that jazz.

Jun 24, 2011
My 18U DD can't stand Wilson gloves because she feels the hand stalls are way too small - might be worth checking out?

I can't offer any feedback on Shoeless Jane.

You may want to consider ordering a few different gloves from an online vendor that allows free returns - that will allow the kids to get a feel for what works best.

Jul 15, 2016
My DD has a Shoeless Jane glove and she likes it but its not as good as I thought it was going to be. it is certainly a nice glove and is game ready out of the box. The issue is, that it seems to be getting progressively "floppier" as the days go on. I think we only have 2 and a half seasons on it.

Jan 21, 2019
So this may make me sound a little naive...and I probably am to an extent yet also well experienced...so here it goes.

Why does a glove need to be so rigid? I've searched Shoeless Jane on the forums and see alot of complaints about it being "floppy" and the fingers not rigid enough. I may not be using the exact words but you get the point. I've also heard coaches complain when the kids gloves look like pancakes. I'm not saying any of this is wrong, I'm trying to understand it as its not my experience. I was a D1 shortstop in the late 90s. I used the same floppy super soft glove through HS and college. It felt like an extension of my fingers. I felt like I could control every movement it made. If the ball didn't hit right in the pocket, I had the control to hang on to it anyway, especially on those what were ALMOST just out of reach. But I put on some of the more rigid gloves at my kids practices and I don't have that feeling. I seems like I need to make sure the ball hits pocket every time. I seems like the ones that are ALMOST just out of reach end up bouncing off because they hit off the rigid part of the glove.

But I realize that I am in the minority here...so it probably comes down to my lack of playing time with one of these other gloves. Can anyone explain what would be better if I got to go back and play a season with a different glove? LOL...oh how I wish I could play one more!

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
As a coach I always hated the following words, "Hey coach I got a new glove". It seems that players get new gloves every season. It's understandable when they are growing but once they reach a certain age by a real glove and be done with it.

Your glove should be "floppy" to some extent. When you put a ball in your glove it should fold around the ball and seal it. If your glove makes a "V" around the ball you aren't doing it right.

Middle infielders are the exception as they are wearing gloves slightly bigger in their hands and aren't really "catching" the ball...

By the way my daughter used a Shoeless Jane for pitching and it lasted many years (great gloves).

Jun 14, 2018
My DD has had a Shoeless Jane for 2 years of 10U travel ball. All in all I would say the glove has played in well over 100 games and it seems to be holding up really well. I have made the jump to a bigger glove because she has an 11.75" glove and her and I decided on the Vinci BV1929. She still prefers her Jane to the Vinci that is not game ready yet. The Jane is getting a bit two floppy for my liking but I am not wearing it and she was still making plays with it at a 12u tournament a few weeks ago.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Don’t really know a lot about the hand stall size on these, but if you prefer a softer leather, then this is the glove for you! If I remember correctly, our last year of 14U, we had a girl completely trash / destroy a brand new one of these in just one Fall ball season.

Jan 21, 2019
I guess it really just comes down to personal preference. If you like your glove and you're making the play...who cares what kind of glove you're wearing. I just want to get it right because I need to buy 2 of them. I'd like to NOT have both my kids come to me in a year and say, ya this one isn't right.

I think I'll take the advice of #10 and order a few from somewhere with a free return policy.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I guess it really just comes down to personal preference. If you like your glove and you're making the play...who cares what kind of glove you're wearing. I just want to get it right because I need to buy 2 of them. I'd like to NOT have both my kids come to me in a year and say, ya this one isn't right.

I think I'll take the advice of #10 and order a few from somewhere with a free return policy.

Great post, and you’re exactly right! I’d look into what #10 said and also the Bradley glove suggestion from OsDad. If you used a loose, really broken in glove in HS and college and you already have a preference towards that style, go ahead and get the Shoeless Janes. I’m absolutely the wrong person to ask about them........but there’s really no right or wrong answer! As you said, personal preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802