Thoughts on Split Locations for Tournaments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2018
We have all been to tournaments where everything is in one spot and where there is multiple field locations. I know personally we have been to tournaments where the fields are are 20 min apart. I personally think it sucks to have multiple locations when other teams from your club are at the same tournament but different location. I am a fan of the games all being at the same location so you can go cheer on the other teams.

DW and I are in the process of trying to get something put together for a PGF tournament. All the input I can get from every body on what you like and don't like when it comes to tournaments would be helpful. Our goal is to work our way up to putting on 3-5 tournaments a year in the area with maybe one of them being a benefit to a local youth sports organization or animal rescue.

Feb 26, 2018
I don't mind the split locations, sometimes it's necessary when there are a ton of teams. Usually they keep the age groups together on the same fields though so it's not a huge deal. The one thing that's important is don't have crazy rules like no coolers or anything. Also, gate fees seem to be the biggest gripe, so either no gate fee or at the very least do a prepaid gate fee. Make sure concessions are good and not charging $5 for a hot dog. Lastly, ensure the restroom facilities are adequate. Been to a few tournaments and the porta potties were full by the second day.

Mar 4, 2018
I have no issue with tournaments being held at multiple locations. Try to keep all the the same age groups at the same location (Example all 12u team a location A, and all 14 teams at location B if possible).

IMO, when we are at tournaments there is so little time between games to watch other teams play that it does not make any difference if other age levels are at the same location. By time we go somewhere to eat and get back there is no time left over.

I will 2nd the gate fees, and no cooler crap. Build the gate fee's into the fee for the tournament. Nothing worse than listening to grandpa complain about paying $15 to watch his grandkid play a baseball or softball games all weekend. Next thing you know grandpa is talking about how he used to pay a dime to watch a MLB game at the old stadium, and hot dogs were a nickel. :p lol.

Jun 11, 2012
I’m ok with split locations for bigger tournaments/showcases.
I prefer them to be fairly close but we’ve been to some that are over 30 minutes apart which is a pain if you need to switch fields

Jul 4, 2013
Everything else equal, I prefer one location but split if you have to.

The only real problem that we've with a split location tourney was a schedule didn't determine which of two locations we would play until game time. Our location, one of two spots 15 minutes apart, was determined in bracket play by a game scheduled immediately prior to our game. Like everyone else, we wanted to stay on schedule, but we didn't want to warm up in one location and then have load up and drive to a different place where we would be parking the car already late and tight.

The issue is avoided by scheduling only one location for each age group, but the issue needs to be avoided. Otherwise grumpy parents like me will throw a fit.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I don't really care as long as I don't have to change locations in the middle of the day (one place Sat. and a different place Sun. is OK with me). The gate fee thing is what makes me nuts. I've mentioned this before, I think, but we went to a tournament last year that cost $20 per day per person! So, $80 just to step in the place for 2 parents for 2 days. You need to roll that cost into the entry fee and not rip people off that way. Especially when the fields we were on for the first day only had Port-A-Johns! And we bought a stealth cooler backpack for those "no cooler" parks. Just go refill it as needed at the car.

Jun 14, 2018
Neither of us are fans of gate fees! We see it as if you need to charge a gate fee to make extra money to cover the cost of the tourney then you should have charged more upfront. Just like you guys I like to have my cooler as well! All the fields I have looked at and will consider around our area allows outside food and beer... I mean drinks. I really want to do Chesterfield (JO cup was held there a few years back) but don't know if any weekend is open next year. We do have a new development coming soon to north St. Louis county that will have up to 9 turf fields and 3 indoor fields.

Jun 14, 2018
I don't really care as long as I don't have to change locations in the middle of the day (one place Sat. and a different place Sun. is OK with me). The gate fee thing is what makes me nuts. I've mentioned this before, I think, but we went to a tournament last year that cost $20 per day per person! So, $80 just to step in the place for 2 parents for 2 days. You need to roll that cost into the entry fee and not rip people off that way. Especially when the fields we were on for the first day only had Port-A-Johns! And we bought a stealth cooler backpack for those "no cooler" parks. Just go refill it as needed at the car.

We have been to tournaments just like what you are talking about! It drove me nuts until I started looking into all this. Some orgs out there take 5% off the top for registration so you lower the cost of the tournament for the team and get all that back on the gate fees. One of the parks I am looking at will take a sizable portion of the gate fees that are collected as well.

Apr 1, 2017
We played a tourney last summer where our 3 pool games were on saturday using 2 parks. Game 1 was park A, game 2 at park B, and game 3 back at park A. They built in plenty of time, so it wasn't like we had to drive like crazy from one to the other, but it just adds another layer of pain in the rear to a long day.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
We played a tourney last summer where our 3 pool games were on saturday using 2 parks. Game 1 was park A, game 2 at park B, and game 3 back at park A. They built in plenty of time, so it wasn't like we had to drive like crazy from one to the other, but it just adds another layer of pain in the rear to a long day.

Negative. Once I have a good parking spot, I don't want to move. That would totally annoy me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802