thoughts on moving cage mounts on helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
DD has a helmet she really likes (and she has taken several hard foul balls off it, with no ill effects whatsoever), but I am hearing and seeing a lot that forehead cage mounts are less than desirable, and it kinda makes sense, and hers has these type of mounts.

what are the thoughts on moving the mount, seems like a quick drill job, maybe need glue to hold the "nut" in place in the plastic shell? or just remove entirely (there are 6 mounts, two forehead, two chin, and two (one each side) cheek for lack of better description.)?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Before we got the Easton Pro-X, here's what I did with my DD's Easton Mako II helmet (forehead mounting clips removed)...

I would be wary of drilling new holes and/or leaving holes empty. Obvious mods are a red flag.

May 6, 2015
so you just removed the 2 forehead and left the other 4, and put screws back in the forehead holes? being all black (dont get me started on black catchers helmets) hard to tell

May 24, 2013
So Cal
so you just removed the 2 forehead and left the other 4, and put screws back in the forehead holes? being all black (dont get me started on black catchers helmets) hard to tell

Pretty much. If I recall, I also rotated the other mounts 90 degrees, which gave a little more space between the shell and the cage.

When given a choice between black, red, and blue on the helmet colors, and the team colors are black, grey, and white, there aren't many options. The only catchers helmets I found that were white (or mostly white) are All-Star and Schutt. Both were no-go for my DD due to fit/comfort issues.

May 6, 2015
Thanks for the tips, will try it and see

DD loves her Schutt, couple of other light options are out there, Diamond Edge (gray camo pattern), Rawlings Velo has two tone with lighter part mostly on top. but protection does come first, and fit is part of protection.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
And Easton is FINALLY catching on... The new Jen Schro gear...

helmet.jpg

Which looks amazingly like the Pro-X gear helmet wise.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
is that cage integrated into the shell near the ear, I do not see bracket there at all, or are they just hidden by angle of pick (or possibly my old eyes, can see like an eagle except for 3 feet from my eyes and closer, getting older sucks dammit!)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
is that cage integrated into the shell near the ear, I do not see bracket there at all, or are they just hidden by angle of pick (or possibly my old eyes, can see like an eagle except for 3 feet from my eyes and closer, getting older sucks dammit!)

I'll try to take some closeup pics of my DD's Pro-X. The attachment at the ear is a different approach. It's very rigid (which I'm not sure is ideal). So far, my DD really likes her Pro-X, and it's been foul-tip tested a few times.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28