thoughts on moving cage mounts on helmet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
I don't have a big problem with rigid mounts on the side. Although how hard would it be to put a rubber gasket between the grill and the shell? At least it's transferring a direct blow on the cage to the sides of the helmet which will slip backwards instead of focusing it to two small mounting points directly aimed at the frontal lobe. At least it's a few bucks cheaper than the pro-x stuff.

Off topic, but It looks like they took the patella pad out of the shins in favor of some extra inner knee padding, and they only go up to 15". My daughter is 11 and has about outgrown her 14.5" shins.

May 29, 2015
I like chardrok’s observation (I was thinking the same thing) — by putting the attachment points to the sides/rear, the impact force is now pulling the helmet instead of focusing the impact point.

That said ... keep in mind any of your homemade modifications will void any warranty and make the gear illegal. Not saying it would definitely get tossed during inspection (guess that it mainly on how “obvious” your work is), but it is possible.

Drilling holes can affect the structural integrity. Though I do like the suggestion of adding rubber washers to cushion impacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812