Thoughts on How a player should decide which position would suit her best?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
I think the concern here is you're 16. You've only got two or three seasons of comp ball left, so while it's a good thing to learn everything, you're going to need to focus on something specific to make a team or get a lot of playing time. That's why you're smart to focus on a position and to do your best to get really good at it.

Like I said before, I'd focus almost all your energy on hitting. If you become a dependable power hitter -- someone who a coach can really count on to move runners around the bases -- they'll find a spot for you defensively. It might be at first, or it might be in right field, but they'll find a spot. If you're having trouble tracking the ball, just practice a lot, Throw a tennis ball in the sky and catch it. Then do it again and again and again. It takes a long time to get good at anything in any sport, but if you put in a lot of time learning to track fly balls, you'll get good enough at it to make a team.

Especially if you hit. Hit a lot, hit hard. Hit off the tee to work on yoru form, hit of machines to judge speed. Find a teammate to pitch to you to learn movement. Watch any and all of the 10 million videos about hitting. And remember this: When you walk up to the plate, your intent is to the hit the ball. Start every windup thinking you're going to hit the ball. Plan to swing, and then only back off it if it's clearly out of the zone. (it's a good idea to learn to hit things that are out of the zone, too, because one ump's river is another ump's shore). You'll have a lot more success if you go into each at bat intending to get a hit rather than hoping you get a good pitch.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
At 16 imagine you have learned to field, throw, hit to some degree
These are general requirements anywhere on the field.
If you can do those things have to be honest with yourself about talent levels.
Then go looking for teams with similar talent, go to tryouts, tell the coach you will play anywhere they need you.
Same with high school.
Trying to learn one position will guarantee nothing.
Filling the spot they need offers something.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Position? Unless you’re a pitcher or catcher, focus on the batters box! Get that handled and I promise your coach will put you where you’re needed, but you’ll play!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2