Thoughts on Guest Playing During Covid?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
Mine will remain the same - if necessary then yes...however it appears this year necessary may be alot unless parents succumb to peer pressure. From everyone Ive talked to about 75-80% are full go while the others would really rather not play at this point.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Mine will remain the same - if necessary then yes...however it appears this year necessary may be alot unless parents succumb to peer pressure. From everyone Ive talked to about 75-80% are full go while the others would really rather not play at this point.
Good feedback.
From similar conversations 75-80% also.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
No changes. If we need a player we will find one. Same as always.

We got 13 girls on the team. If 1 or 2 families don't feel safe returning, that just made the filling out the line up card easier. I would not even question a parent if they don't feel safe.

If 3-4 families don't feel comfortable, we would find a pickup player or two.

If half the team did not feel comfortable, we would not be playing with the teams funds.

Currently all 13 players are ready to start playing today.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Question for Coaches; would a parent saying they're not comfortable letting their DD play yet affect how you view/play that girl in the future (e.g., batting order, whether she's put in the field, or even whether she gets cut in the fall)? In other words, would you "punish" the girl when she does return for staying out while the team starts up again? Why or why not? What if the girl had an immediate family member in a high risk group?

Feb 15, 2017
Question for Coaches; would a parent saying they're not comfortable letting their DD play yet affect how you view/play that girl in the future (e.g., batting order, whether she's put in the field, or even whether she gets cut in the fall)? In other words, would you "punish" the girl when she does return for staying out while the team starts up again? Why or why not? What if the girl had an immediate family member in a high risk group?

GREAT question. This is where the integrity rubber meets the road and where we see if what comes out of coaches mouths makes it into practice. To me this is totally different than “Susie went to Aunt Sallys birthday party and wont be at practice”. I think coaches need to be clear with players who DO play and DONT play that when normal activity resumes none of what happened or didn’t during this strange time will be held against them. Everyone should decide for themselves what their risk tolerance is with consequence of others.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

I am certain almost all coaches will say it will not affect how they view the girl. And the same group of coaches whose word was good before, this will be true.

For others... it will all be just talk. Like it always is.

If anything has become clear during all this - for the majority of people I know, it truly exposed and confirmed just who I thought you were. A few surprises, but not many.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Obviously a tough situation.
Should not put reprecussions back onto a player.
Difficult tho to need to form a team to play and not necessarily be able to
say 'hold a spot'.
Can imagine that predicament would be adding the player back to a roster that may have new players.
Then earn a spot or tryouts new season or however coach wants playing time to run.

There is a scenario guest players are temporary.
Yet there will also be people looking for new teams.

Suggest clear discussion with coaches regarding how/what their goal is with the team and players.
Imagine different answers for different coaches goals.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX

I have told my families that they should return when they feel safe. In June/July/fall it doesn’t matter. They have a spot, and will be part of the team. However, they may have to re-earn position or lineup spot.

We have decided to not hold tryouts and offer everyone a spot for next season. If anyone leaves, we will deal with that as needed.

Assume softball starts back up this summer in your area. Are you going to change your “guest playing” team rules/philosophy?

Our organization has frozen the rosters. We have a "within the org first" guest player policy in place, so a player not returning when the team gets ready to play again will not affect their status with that team or within the organization. We move players around in the fall, so I will say it might have some bearing on which team they end up on going forward but that will be more of someone else out working them and taking their spot rather than their being punished for not playing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812