This One Is New To Me - No Bus !

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
Our district was strictly 100% bus the coach would not let you take your kid to or from games, you literally followed the bus back to school, it was a pain driving right by your house and having to go to school parking lot but you had to have signed permission in advance to take your kid straight home and it better be the exception not the rule.

Oct 26, 2019
I coached HS baseball for 15 years and am now the schools AD. I strongly suggested the kids ride the bus home with the team because that is where I held my post game talk (instead of left field like most teams). I did that out of respect for parents so we could get back to school (and thus home) quicker and it also made the bus ride meaningful (something the kids wouldn’t want to miss).

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
One of the teams in our conference is a private/religious school. The players arrive via cars and they are not that good at all.

However their girls basketball is always very competitive and draws well. They come on a bus because they have a booster club who gets donations from businesses who then get advertising on their scoreboard.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
We are a small school and still provide transportation for all sports jr high and high school.

As the softball coach, our rule is the players ride to and from games with the team. We had a couple of reasons for this when our staff took over the program a couple of years back.
1) Team Chemistry
2) No long talks in the OF after- coaches talk on ride back about important points and we disucss those in a team meeting at the school and send them off without the 45 minute talk out of frustration after a loss.
3) Our first year the AD bought us new uniforms after we begged and explained to rebuild a program we needed to show the players someone cared. So we wash the uniforms at the school every night after a game. So we are there an extra hour every game night (at least 3 nights a week) doing laundry to keep them looking good.
4) Main reason- to keep the players away from the parents until they have calmed down after a game. That way they don't get the full replay from that parent that knows more than we the coaches do.

Oct 4, 2018
High School ball is such a downgrade in our community from the travel ball the girls all play. It's like a warm up.

The girls all have their hitting coach, their pitching coach. High School coaches don't know as much as the professionals that the girls take their lessons from, and they know it. So we perhaps don't have as much of the "gotta do it this way" as some communities. Not sure really, as I'm not a part of that yet -- only know what I hear and ask about.

Apr 20, 2015
Super lucky to be at a perennial powerhouse program in Indiana. Multiple state championships under our coaches belt and a tremendous talent pool to pull from. Before the recruitment changes we had division 1 p5 committed freshman that didn't make varsity because the varsity roster was full of college bound committed players. This year our varsity team has 3 p5 committed players, a 4th jr that that i would expect to go p5....and a bunch of sophomores that have d1 talent....its a tough group!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In our school district how kids get to and from games is up to them. Some kids drive themselves and others. Some ride with parents.

Jul 13, 2019
We have buses to most games but some games the kids will ride the bus to the game and then it is up to the parents to get the kids home. They usually do this for some relatively close games. I assume the reason that they do it this way is so they don't have to pay the bus driver to just sit there and watch the game or sit in the bus and read a book. When the games are far away they have a bus there and back. We are a school that has tried to save money any way we can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101