This One Is New To Me - No Bus !

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2017
Our teams (V, JV, F) bus to and from all games (high school home field is located at a middle school about 3 miles away).

When my son played baseball, parents were allowed to take kids home after the game. The softball program rules says they must ride bus back to school and then get picked up. Today is first practice and I asked my daughters to confirm that part.

Jun 11, 2012
DD’s HS plays home games about 1/2 mile away from school. They’re expected to get there on their own for practice and home games. There’s plenty of upper classmen with cars so the freshmen can make new friends, have a parent drive them or walk.
away games they are bused. I only took her home with me once in 4 years and that was because the game started late and she had to ump a rec game that night.

Feb 7, 2014
Some of you have asked about the baseball team and if they are provided a bus... I don't know yet as the season hasn't started. That being said if that were the case am I correct that that could be a Title 9 concern ?

May 20, 2015
Some of you have asked about the baseball team and if they are provided a bus... I don't know yet as the season hasn't started. That being said if that were the case am I correct that that could be a Title 9 concern ?

very much so

i am amazed schools get away with private transport to a school event, huge liability concern.......our kids can provide own transport only with more than 24 hours approval from AD, signed and official.....same with taking them home .....middle school busses to all away events, same deal, but are a LITTLE more lax on taking them home......i used to have my parents sign their kids out

May 29, 2015
DD’s HS plays home games about 1/2 mile away from school. They’re expected to get there on their own for practice and home games. There’s plenty of upper classmen with cars so the freshmen can make new friends, have a parent drive them or walk.
away games they are bused. I only took her home with me once in 4 years and that was because the game started late and she had to ump a rec game that night.

Thumbs up just for encouraging her to umpire! :)

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I believe it is becomming more common as school budgets get stretched thin. I think bussing is still the most common but get yourself there is starting to increase.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The cost is definitely a concern. Our district makes sure certain things are provided (such as buses) but they are also eliminating sports completely in some cases. We have some sports that are co-OP situations where our students play for a neighboring school because our school no longer offers the sport. Transportation in those cases is handled one of two ways. Either the parents are responsible to get the athlete to and from the event OR the parents are responsible to get thr athlete to the other school in order to ride the bus. Unfortunatley I expect more sports to get cut in the coming years...

May 6, 2015
absolutely

Oct 4, 2018
Is your school on an austerity budget? We can drive and pick up DD to away games only after notifying AD of reason why. And it is actually frowned upon since some team chemistry is made in bus rides.

We are encouraged to let the girls take busses to games but are almost encouraged to ride home with parents. Simply more efficient and gets kids home much earlier. Homework and such...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812