This new training tool reflects a whole hitting philosophy...is it right?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
My understanding of disconnection, as I thought you used the term, was from the link you have used that includes words of disconnection under a hitter that looks to disconnect with their lead arm.

Certainly could be an example but I don't mean it to be the lead arm disconnecting from the chest. I mean an efficient transfer of energy from the rotating torso is good connection/connecting the rotating energy of the torso to the bat with as little misdirected energy as possible. My apologies for being unclear.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Perhaps referencing connection is a the problem in and of itself. It becomes a goal, and then it becomes a problem.

Don't know what that means but whatever mental cue/swing goal works for your hitters then great. I'm discussing the technical aspects of the swing rather than how to coach it. That's another discussion.

May 12, 2008
Yeah, watch Manny practice a "push disconnect" as he envisions the hand-path to the inside fb. ;)

Tightening the hand path/getting inside the ball whatever the terminology, is shown frequently on Siggys hitting site. You do have to pull the hands across the chest with scapular action and perhaps even lead elbow flexion to adjust to the inside pitch. Question is when. Do it like the link of the gadget I posted earlier and that's not an efficient connection of the rotating torso to the bat. It's an arm swing. Do it late and you have tightened the radius of the handpath causing a strong whip. For instance. Photo 10 of 16, Fastpitch

It's just physics. Hope my communication skills are up to the job here.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Tightening the hand path/getting inside the ball whatever the terminology, is shown frequently on Siggys hitting site. You do have to pull the hands across the chest with perhaps scapular action and perhaps even elbow flexion to adjust to the inside pitch. Question is when. Do it like the link of the gadget I posted earlier and that's not an efficient connection of the rotating torso to the bat. It's an arm swing. Do it late and have tightened the radius of the handpath causing a strong whip. For instance. Photo 10 of 16, Fastpitch

It's just physics. Hope my communication skills are up to the job here.
I'm not endorsing the product. I'm saying you don't know what you're talking about. While you dream up the next nuance, Let's watch Miggy "push disconnect".

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Mark,
Please tell me that you think Miggy's hand-path is the same as the Lady hitter that you posted. Pretty please.

May 12, 2008
Perhaps we posted at the same time and you didn't see reply 43 before you posted. It really is just physics and it's not arguable assuming you understand the physics involved at just a basic level. Research angular momentum and the double pendulum. Best wishes.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Thanks for the assignment. Learned about the value of conservation of angular momentum years ago when I was studying Epstein. Learned that the hand-path can be tight or less tight. Learned that less tight was not always a bad thing, especially when looking for the ball to be deep on the outside corner.

Any other wisdom you'd like to impart Professor?

Btw Mark, It's about hitting. Miggy probably doesn't care as much about physics as much as he does about smashing the ball. Just a guess.

Last edited:
May 12, 2008
Thanks for the assignment. Learned about the value of conservation of angular momentum years ago when I was studying Epstein. Learned that the hand-path can be tight or less tight. Learned that less tight was not always a bad thing, especially when looking for the ball to be deep on the outside corner.

Any other wisdom you'd like to impart Professor?

Yes, you are absolutely right. Handpath radius can vary. If it stays the same during rotation you are fine. If the radius goes from small to large you are toast. If it goes from large to small during rotation you may get to hit an inside pitch very very hard.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Yes, you are absolutely right. Handpath radius can vary. If it stays the same during rotation you are fine. If the radius goes from small to large you are toast. If it goes from large to small during rotation you may get to hit an inside pitch very very hard.
We've both been around a while Mark. I asked you about the hand-path's of both Miggy and the young lady you posted. Both inside fb's I believe? Are you contending that they are both using the same hand-path?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse