Third base coach's decision

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
It depends on how experienced the third base coach is and where his attention was. If he is waving the lead runner home, he may not have realized the trail runner was trying for third. The play is right in front of the trail runner, and at 14U I would think the trail runner has some common sense.

If you want to lay it on the coach, that's fair as well. Once he waves the lead runner home, he has to look up and see what is happening with the runner rounding second.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
So yeah this is on the 3B coach... but there is equal blame on this play.

On a ball hit to LF the runner coming from first can absolutely SEE the play developing - the ball is in front of her as she goes from 1B to 2B. The runner has to be able to make a decision on this play especially if the 3B coach is not 100% off the lead runner (which is possible because the ball is likely out of view for the lead runner going from 2B to 3B and the lead runner is likely slower than the trail runner since the trail runner managed to get herself out at 3B before the lead runner could get to home).

Now put the ball in RF and it is all on the 3B coach as he is the only one with the view of the ball.

May 17, 2012
My point would be that the first base coach needs to communicate this while he has the runner at first base.

"The tying run is on second and we need her to score on an extra base hit. Don't take an extra base unless you are 100% that the tying run is going to score."

I assume this is only an issue as there was a speed differential between the runners.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee