Things College Softball Announcers Can Quit Saying 2022 Edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
I love it when the announcer keeps talking about that pitch just on the outside edge of plate..... hello it's TV we can see that the pitch was a miss right down the middle.

There's more than a few that I'll bypass watching a game or game on mute, because of the announcers. And 2-time olympic medalist is tops on that list.

May 29, 2015
I love it when the announcer keeps talking about that pitch just on the outside edge of plate..... hello it's TV we can see that the pitch was a miss right down the middle.

There's more than a few that I'll bypass watching a game or game on mute, because of the announcers. And 2-time olympic medalist is tops on that list.
How about when they say, “It just caught the black?”

(Revelation: the black is NOT part of the plate. The plate is only the white area.)

Nov 18, 2015
If not in this thread, I know it was mentioned in prior years - "She wishes she could have that pitch back".

May 29, 2015
How about when they say, “It just caught the black?”

(Revelation: the black is NOT part of the plate. The plate is only the white area.)

I hate quoting myself, but this made me laugh since I had just posted that ...

JV baseball game tonight and I am on the plate. They painted their lines instead of chalking them. They also painted home plate white. ALL of home plate, including the black trim. I guess the zone just got a little wider ... whiter ... wider?

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I hate quoting myself, but this made me laugh since I had just posted that ...

JV baseball game tonight and I am on the plate. They painted their lines instead of chalking them. They also painted home plate white. ALL of home plate, including the black trim. I guess the zone just got a little wider ... whiter ... wider?

I think "painting the black" can be used colloquially by announcers to identify a pitch that maybe juuuuust barely was a strike. There's no need to take everything so literally.

But you're obviously right in saying that a lot of people don't realize the black isn't part of the plate. Actual, in-ground home plates don't even have the black from my experience.

You should've found a Sharpie and drawn the black back in for them, just to see their reaction.

Dec 11, 2010
O.K., I’m annoyed by something new.

Hitters. Get in the box and hit. Coaches: Tell your hitters to get in the box and hit.

Where are you walking to between pitches? Were you thinking about going back to the dugout for a sandwich? And quit all that goofy twitching and weird bat swings.

May 29, 2015

Hitters. Get in the box and hit. Coaches: Tell your hitters to get in the box and hit.

Where are you walking to between pitches? Were you thinking about going back to the dugout for a sandwich? And quit all that goofy twitching and weird bat swings.

That will get you ejected in NCAA Baseball.

Going to start an off-shoot thread for the actual comments on this though ... "Coach, you NEED to work on this."

Jun 8, 2016

“Hold on Blue my trainer says if I want Buns of Steel I have to eat every 3 hours. I’ll be right back. “

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28