Things College Softball Announcers Can Quit Saying 2022 Edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Bailey Dowling HR. Smitty: “Look how far off the plate she is. This pitch is right over the inside corner and because Dowling is off the plate it makes it look like it’s right down the middle.”

She makes stuff up constantly.

Attachments

• 07CA5EF8-DBCA-427A-A76F-FF7F5F2A5570.jpeg
    07CA5EF8-DBCA-427A-A76F-FF7F5F2A5570.jpeg
    677.5 KB · Views: 56
Jun 20, 2015
looks pretty much right down the middle. regardless of where the batter is. those are the pitches you are lucky to get the ball back...or not. LOL

Dec 11, 2010
It’s former players. It’s exhausting listening to them.

The game last night was two dudes, it was relaxing, there was discussion. There were interesting stats. They didn’t dwell on every pitch.

Tonight it’s a former player. A good former player. She‘s likeable. She has the insights that only players have. And she won’t shut up. Every move is dissected. Every damn pitch she’s talking about something that could be better. Or a sickly sweet blow by blow of what goes right. Every damn ball that gets hit was too much on the plate. Too much white. And gushing about how brilliant the coaches are for two straight innings. Come on. I do not need you to tell me whether EVERY PITCH is a rise, a curve, a whatever. I can see it. It’s t.v.

Exhausting.

Jun 3, 2017
That Tom Brady says Maya Brady is the best athlete in the family. He never said that about her. He said it about his sister.
He actually tweeted it - it was pretty clear, imo, that it was sarcasm. I'm still waiting for a series where the announcers don't mention her relatives- has yet to happen ( 1651087034571.png

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
“Griddy”.

“Hit the griddy”.

Just stop.

It was almost funny the first time when it happened organically in an interview. The Humor Scale Rating has dropped to D- - - (that’s three Minus) after every former player-announcer said it and tweeted it 7.2 times per day on average for two weeks.

Maybe you could fill the empty time saying “she rotates on her back side and gets good extension and Goes With The Pitch” after every home run. At least we are numb to that.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2015
Almost any commentator on reviewing a playback of a half-swing, pop-up, home run:

"Look how she gets the barrel through, rotates, and drives the ball hard!"

Aug 30, 2015
Listened/watched a kid doing a streaming Pac-12 game from Utah a few weeks ago.

Green and stumbly but offered a lot of enjoyment and color.

One of my fav's: after a meeting in the circle he'd say, "Now they've decided what they want for lunch, they're ready to get back to work."

Mar 4, 2015
New England
The color commentator for the Mississippi State-Arizona game just said that Miss State should be hitting more ground balls, that balls in the air are easier to catch.

Miss State had a HR robbed (literally going over the fence were it not for a nice catch) and another bases-loaded liner cut off in the gap for the third out. But yeah, they need to stop trying to do that. Swing down, get some ground balls going.

Update: Good thing Mia Davidson didn't listen to that advice. Solo dinger. Miss State up 1-0.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478