Things College Softball Announcers Can Quit Saying 2022 Edition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
There is no such thing as a tie: either the ball got there before the runner or it didn't. That may sound like splitting hairs, but that is how it is written and also how you are supposed to be taught to call it.

The idea of a tie is removed because the umpire is not looking for it and 'a tie' is not defined in the book as a tie. There is no such 'tie' rule or directive. And if you call it a tie it is totally a cop-out from making the decision you are meant to be making.

The rules reads "[various ways to make a force] before the runner reaches the base."; that is the criteria you need to meet for an out.

The correct way to say it would be "the defense failed to get the force before the runner reached the base"
Understood that the rule doesn’t say tie goes to the runner. But it does say the ball has to be there before the runner. Ergo a tie goes to the runner as the ball was not there before. I get why an ump wouldn’t call out tie. It’s safe or out. But the tie does go to the runner by rule.

Jul 27, 2021
Rule 7.01 - "A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he touches it before he is out." The key word here is "before". The INSTANT that ball touches the fielder's mitt, if the runner was not there BEFORE the ball, he MUST be called out—no leeway. If the ump thought the ball was there before or at the same time, he's gotta bang Mister Votto.

Still not sold? Check 6.05 (j) - "A batter is out when, after a third strike or after he hits a fair ball, he or first base is tagged before he touches first base" (there's that "before" bit again).

There is tons of info on the web.

Tie to the Runner Myth

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Rule 7.01 - "A runner acquires the right to an unoccupied base when he touches it before he is out." The key word here is "before". The INSTANT that ball touches the fielder's mitt, if the runner was not there BEFORE the ball, he MUST be called out—no leeway. If the ump thought the ball was there before or at the same time, he's gotta bang Mister Votto.

Still not sold? Check 6.05 (j) - "A batter is out when, after a third strike or after he hits a fair ball, he or first base is tagged before he touches first base" (there's that "before" bit again).

There is tons of info on the web.

Tie to the Runner Myth
The argument rests on what is before, or after. Does not really address the tie. I would say that 99% of the “ties” at a base are really not ties. Just a bang bang play that is not readable to the naked eye. A good ump is probably using their ears more at that moment then their eyes. But I have also watched many, many mlb games on tv (which I believe is the rule set you have quoted) and in those games I’ve seen 100s of video reviews And in every instance of the foot of the runner hits the base at the same time the ball strikes the first base man’s mitt. That runner has been called safe.

Feb 15, 2017
Just Google baseball myths "tie goes to the runner". There are good education articles, philosophy debates and direct quotes of the rules that pertain to outs, base running, etc. There has never been a rule that says "Tie goes to the runner".
Theoretically there is no tie if the sound of the ball hitting the glove arrives at the same time you see the foot hit the base. The speed if light is faster than the speed of sound so if perceived at the same time throw beat the runner

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Watching a game on ESPN+ this evening, I actually heard an announcer, and apparently a former player, refer to the "hands being an extension of the bat". That wasn't the only weird/dumb thing she said. In fact, had this been a drinking game, I would have been smashed by the 3rd inning.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Standard Smitty Homerun Comment #3: “She just rotates on her backside and gets great extension”

There was a guy on the LSU game last night that was really good. Came up with tons of interesting stats and trends and never gave “The Lesson To The Little Leaguers” like a cheesy 10u coach.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Heard today during Kentucky-LSU game: LSU pitcher not getting corners because the batting box lines have been erased.

At least with most of this thread it's easy to understand their point, even if the point is dead wrong. Trying to figure out this one makes my head hurt.

Feb 15, 2017
At least with most of this thread it's easy to understand their point, even if the point is dead wrong. Trying to figure out this one makes my head hurt.
I think they were implying the river was supposed to be called but there wasn't any river.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Announcer for a college game yesterday repeatedly referred to pinch runners as "courtesy runners".

I wondered if he also does that when calling baseball games.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom