There is hope for the Short players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Right, control what you can control. So why the thread? Do people really need to be told this? Unless you think these supposed biased college coaches are reading it and will see the error in their ways..:)

Reminds me of the OF are important too threads..no sh*& :rolleyes:
It's called hope. The same reason they keep telling the story of Jose Altuve. The odds are highly against the shorties, but not improbable. Maybe you can create a statistical analysis with your mathematical prowess?

The 10U parents need to hear that OF's are important.

Jun 8, 2016
It's called hope. The same reason they keep telling the story of Jose Altuve. The odds are highly against the shorties, but not improbable. Maybe you can create a statistical analysis with your mathematical prowess?

The 10U parents need to hear that OF's are important.
I mean there is information out there about what the average height of MLB players is. My sons probably won't be taller than 5'9" or so..statistics tell me the odds are against them. Doesn't mean I don't go out there and play ball with them..just means I won't be quitting my job anytime soon in hopes that they are my meal ticket..:ROFLMAO:

Many of the 10U parents need to educate themselves about lots of things..lol. Maybe you can start a thread :p

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
This thread may have been created at some point. The title: Top 10 List-18U parent's advice to 10U parent. or Top 50 List.
The problem I have with this (and by this I mean many stupid things that parents do) is the following. If you don't know OF is important (as an example) you obviously don't know the game. You should know this, eg that you are clueless about softball, and hence not question a coach since, well, you don't know wth you are talking about. This is my main problem. People who don't know their as* from their elbow questioning somebody they chose to coach their kid because in theory this person knows the game..makes no sense.

My kid's team is running into this issue now and what makes it worse is this is 14U.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
DD didn’t hit 5 feet tall until sophomore year of HS. She’s maybe 120 lbs and a lot of that is muscle.
She’s a lefty and was always tiny in TB, way too small to play first so she was always in the outfield. She embraced it and became a great CF.
She may be small but she leads her college team in triples. One day she’ll hit one over, she seems to like bouncing them off the fence 😂

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The problem I have with this (and by this I mean many stupid things that parents do) is the following. If you don't know OF is important (as an example) you obviously don't know the game. You should know this, eg that you are clueless about softball, and hence not question a coach since, well, you don't know wth you are talking about. This is my main problem. People who don't know their as* from their elbow questioning somebody they chose to coach their kid because in theory this person knows the game..makes no sense.

My kid's team is running into this issue now and what makes it worse is this is 14U.
There is an evolution and learning curver for most parents. You played ball up into college and your learning curve is flatter than your fellow parents. You have admitted that you have evolved as well. You still may be sitting in the OF, but I bet you aren't throwing water bottles on the field.

I had a moment (it's been a long time)over the weekend when DD made several mental and physical errors which helped in their beatdown. I would have normally barked at her and had an emotional outburst. I had to get away from the parents and take an inning away from the field to gather myself. They kept asking stupid questions...okay maybe just my wife's uncle. Then I went to hang out with the opposing team's parents for the rest of the game who I knew were seasoned and knowledgeable softball parents.

Jun 8, 2016
There is an evolution and learning curver for most parents. You played ball up into college and your learning curve is flatter than your fellow parents. You have admitted that you have evolved as well. You still may be sitting in the OF, but I bet you aren't throwing water bottles on the field.
You are missing the point. If my kid was in curling and her coach made her the brush person (lol) I wouldn't be questioning his/her decision because I heard the dude on all 4's was cooler..That isn't a learning curve thing, that is not knowing what you don't know (or not caring..). I don't expect all parents to know the game..I watched a ballgame every summer night for the first 15 years of my life that I can remember. I do expect parents to understand their limitations but I guess that is too much to ask..

As far as water bottle throwing, I may have gently tossed one last weekend but it was to the side and out of sight of anybody...progress?? I am never going to be Chill Bill...

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD didn’t hit 5 feet tall until sophomore year of HS. She’s maybe 120 lbs and a lot of that is muscle.
She’s a lefty and was always tiny in TB, way too small to play first so she was always in the outfield. She embraced it and became a great CF.
She may be small but she leads her college team in triples. One day she’ll hit one over, she seems to like bouncing them off the fence 😂
There is a 5'4" 2B that plays in DD's conference and has hit 6 HR's this season. And 18 for her college career.

Nov 18, 2013
You are missing the point. If my kid was in curling and her coach made her the brush person (lol) I wouldn't be questioning his/her decision because I heard the dude on all 4's was cooler..That isn't a learning curve thing, that is not knowing what you don't know (or not caring..). I don't expect all parents to know the game..I watched a ballgame every summer night for the first 15 years of my life at least that I can remember. I do expect parents to understand their limitations but I guess that is too much to ask..

As far as water bottle throwing, I may have gently tossed one last weekend but it was to the side and out of sight of anybody...progress?? I am never going to be Chill Bill...
Speaking of not knowing the game. Did you happen to see the Iowa State pitcher tell the OU hitter to sit down after a strikeout? Sure enough next batter puts it out of the park and player she told to sit down ended up getting a walk off HR. Pretty dumb thing to say when you’re the third best pitcher on the last place team in the conference facing perhaps the best softball team ever.

Jun 8, 2016
Speaking of not knowing the game. Did you happen to see the Iowa State pitcher tell the OU hitter to sit down after a strikeout? Sure enough next batter puts it out of the park and player she told to sit down ended up getting a walk off HR. Pretty dumb thing to say when you’re the third best pitcher on the last place team in the conference facing perhaps the best softball team ever.
Yes I saw it..that is less not knowing the game and more just pure stupidity..lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812