There is hope for the Short players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This picture showed up on my facebook feed from 8 years ago. I took this pic because the batter is 4"10" and the Catcher is 6'0"(who later became DD's catcher/hitting coach) The batter was the starting 3B for USF vs UH. I actually was able to make small talk with this players mom who flew all the way from Tampa. Some coaches have their prejudices and cannot see past the short stature, but other coaches can tell if you are a baller regardless of size. Oh and Ken Eriksen coached the USA National team. Sara Nevins was pitching for USF this game and was throwing GAS!!! Go look at her pitching stats.
1650387245626.png

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Also remember Lynsey Meeks from JMU in last year's series. At 4'11" she was quite the spark plug offensively and defensively. Liked to ham it up with her teammates, too.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD is 5' 2.5" (the extra half inch is important if you ask her) and she'll be lucky if she sees 5' 4". I've always told her that she has to make coaches see beyond her size through her work on and off the field.

I also sent her an article about Lynsey Meeks. No excuses! Lol

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Unfortunately, size does matter. Many, if not most coaches will look over smaller players. This starts in 10U TB. Seen smaller players get looked over for girls of size even when the smaller girl is a better athlete. Smaller players have to work harder and talk more.

Sep 19, 2018
Unfortunately, size does matter. Many, if not most coaches will look over smaller players. This starts in 10U TB. Seen smaller players get looked over for girls of size even when the smaller girl is a better athlete. Smaller players have to work harder and talk more.
agreed. Smaller players need to prove they can play. The physical specimen type players often have to to prove they can't.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I can speak to this. At 5'2, I'm the shortest athlete on my team. But my teammates know I am an extremely vocal leader and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty whether that's at practice, in game, in the classroom, or in my personal life. My fiance refers to me as a little munchkin. But he knows I turn into a sparkplug once I'm between those lines. He also knows not to disturb me when I'm in the zone. :LOL:

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
This picture showed up on my facebook feed from 8 years ago. I took this pic because the batter is 4"10" and the Catcher is 6'0"(who later became DD's catcher/hitting coach) The batter was the starting 3B for USF vs UH. I actually was able to make small talk with this players mom who flew all the way from Tampa. Some coaches have their prejudices and cannot see past the short stature, but other coaches can tell if you are a baller regardless of size. Oh and Ken Eriksen coached the USA National team. Sara Nevins was pitching for USF this game and was throwing GAS!!! Go look at her pitching stats.
54736460.jpg

Jun 26, 2019
Thats good to hear that it worked out for her, but after my dds experiences I have to wonder how many players quit at 10 or 12 because of a bad experience. It sure seems to me that a coach, or phy ed teacher that can see that is the exception rather than the rule. What I have been through in last year with her makes me flat out regret ever encouraging my kids to play sports at all, not so much in softball, but other sports.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Another name to add to the list and one of my favorite all-time players, Kelley Mantalvo from Alabama and later the NFP team, the Akron Racers. At 5 foot nothing she was one of the finest 3rd baseman to play the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802