The word on composite bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I pass this along as an FYI for those who aren't already aware. It hasn't been made known to the public generally, but 2008 is the last year that manufacturers will be allowed to make composite bats -- at least for now. The reason I've heard from a couple of distributors is that the bats pass the initial test, but then get considerably hotter after they've been used for a little while. It knocks them out of spec at times, but it's too hard to police it. So ASA is just going to not test or allow new bat models to be used after this year.

A few examples of composite bats are the Louisville Catalyst, Demarini Phenix, Easton Synergy and Stealth, and Miken Halo.

The good news is, if you already have one, you will still be able to use it. This press release from ASA explains how current bats are being grandfathered in. They're just not allowing more to be manufactured.

The bat manufacturers are quietly trying to dispose of their inventory. If you want one, you'd better order it quickly. A lot of the models are already sold out of the most popular sizes. But you can still find them if you look hard enough.

Good luck!

More...

Jun 16, 2008
Has anyone seen the bat barrel compression testers that Easton developed? I was told the umpires can tell if a bat has been rolled or has been compressed to the point that it would not meet specs by using these testers. Easton's 09 models have a special paint that will turn white if it is compressed beyond a certain threshold so there will be a visual indication for all of the new Easton bats.

Jun 16, 2008
Many of the -10 Easton Stealths were taken out of play at various ASA national tournaments due to loose handles or cracks where the barrel joins to the handle so I'm not sure what Easton plans for the '09 Stealth.
The '09 Synergy meets the 98mph spec out of the wrapper and has a clear outer shell so you can see when the fibers start breaking down. The paint will begin to turn an opaque or whitish color. Any spots larger than 1" in diameter will indicate the bat has exceeded the specifications. Easton states the average player will get 5000 hits out of this bat.
I haven't seen any '09 models from Louisville Slugger or Demarini.
I was told by an 18U gold coach about the bat barrel compression tester. I haven't seen it either. I suspect there will be many unhappy players and parents who will find out the bats they have been using are no longer legal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802