The Texas Two-Step

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 11, 2008
caifornia
a hitting coach i worked with this weekend, who played school at Texas, wants me to step forward as a trigger, then step towards the plate for an outside pitch. IOW, she wants me to step twice: once forward then to the right (i am right handed) for outside. she says many MLB'ers do this. is this correct? i am a bit skeptical but i didn't want to argue with her. i feel stepping after the ball is released will get you off balance., plus i am a believer in "heel down, heel up". so my front foot needs to be firm as i begin my pivot/leg drive. [i hope to god she isn't reading this because i am going back to her for a lesson next month.]

my regular hitting coach (a former pro player for the pittsburgh pirates) wants me to step forward as a trigger before or as the pitcher releases the ball, so i am set before trying to track it and swing. he says if i wait till after she releases to step it will be too late. i agree with this.

Oct 16, 2008
SE Michigan
2 step

From your description , I am guessing that your new coach is seeing that your timing is messed up. Timing is the most difficult aspect to coach because it is very personal and unique to each player...there is a "right" destination but many driving directions. My advice would be to work with your new coach and see if it works...if it doesn't work... tell her.

Attachments

• homemeade xceleratot.JPG
    homemeade xceleratot.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 728

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I guess my question is why you're working with the new hitting coach? Was there a problem with your hitting you were trying to solve? Seems like you're still working with the original coach and there's a bit of a conflict there.

That being said, the stepping after the pitch is released thing doesn't seem like a very good idea to me. Unless the pitching is really slow you should get to toe touch before release, then go to heel drop. I know some people say to step in or out depending on pitch location, but it's really not a good idea.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Guess it depends on how quick your bat is and how fast the pitching is. If you're an elite hitter you may not need to get it down then. If you're not, it's probably a good idea.

Sep 11, 2008
caifornia
hi the reason i am using this new coach was because i was at a clinic and they were also offering private lessons on the side. i worked with her at another clinic and she helped me. i want to use her to supplement what i learn from my other, regular hitting coach. sometimes other coaches spot things your regular coach does not see. i will only see her a few times a year most likely. i like her alot even tho i do not agree with everything she taught me. she still was able to help me.

also i did not have problems with my timing. the reason she wanted me to step outside was to get my momentum going that way and so i could more easily reach the outside pitch. i told her i normally stepped straight and before the pitch was released. she said that was fine, as a trigger, but then to step a second time outside. she said take a look at any major leaguer to see them do this. i objected and said as soon as i plant my stride foot ("heel down") i begin rotating/driving my back foot ("heel up"), so i cannot step again while i am driving my back leg, or i will be off balance. then she became defensive and we dropped the subject.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
See a new coach. It is impossible to step in or out to a pitch. From the time the pitcher is at the K position you have less than 2 blinks of your eye. Try it you don't have time to step in and out. You are at toe touch when the pitcher is in the K position, watch any elite hitter. Ask them to do the math with a ball traveling at 55 plus!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802