The switch to IR, What to expect?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 20, 2017
So my 10U DD has been pitching for about 3 years. About a year ago I started really wanting to get her off the Happy Elbow. But we had 2 major hesitations First and foremost she absolutely loves her pitching coach and he has done great things with her. Secondly she plays year round and was scared of change. For me it was a no brainier, Kid in the pain zone all the time, and it just always looked to me like she was forcing her body into positions it did not want to be in. Well sadly her coach is winding down his roaster and focusing on a few of his older girls as he edges twords retirement, but it Presented us an opportunity to try out a new Coach. Of course I already had the number of the coach I've been eyeing for awhile, and she snuck us in to fill a cancellation.

It was AWESOME!!!! Totally different but DD is a fast learner. With in 20 pitches she was actually starting to get it, lot to learn still but in no time at all they were working on other pitches together and having a blast doing it. Kiddo wont stop raving about how much more comfortable it felt and her catcher was pumping her up telling her she was throwing harder then ever.. lol But at the end of practice she felt great, said she could throw all day without getting tired and didnt feel any pains in the normal spot... SHES SOLD!!!

But for those that have made the change what kind of transition phase are we gonna go through here. She is just starting the Travel (travel lite actually) season and I'm a little worried after 3 years it might take a bit to cement the grips and mechanics, I think she will struggle to not pull the hip through, etc How long did it take your DD to transition??

Aug 7, 2017
I also have a daughter that just switched to IR recently. We have a very similar story. My daughter is 11, has been pitching for 2 years (hello elbow style), and suffered a shoulder injury a year ago.

We also loved our first coach, but the injury made us look elsewhere. We found a coach that first worked on getting her stronger. When she was, we started pitching IR. And I can't agree with you more! This style almost looks effortless, but the ball flys into the glove. (Well sometimes it flies into the glove, initially her accuracy was not there). Her coach didn't care about accuracy while she was learning the technique. But now we are a two month's into it, and the accuracy is starting to come around.

I know that you were looking for someone that has been doing it for longer, but I wanted to share her story so that you knew someone was experiencing something similar. And I am excited to see where this goes.

Marc

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Better speed, spin and spots. As you’ve noticed, she throws harder with less effort. With good posture and brush, control will come quickly.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Better speed, spin and spots. As you’re noticed, she throws harder with less effort. With good posture and brush, control will come quickly.

Yeah, naturally athletic players wont take long to surpass what was essentially fighting her body to throw strikes. Just like anything new it will take time to translate into games. Just let her pitch and what happens, happens.

It is 10U - it is fine. I know that thought it isn't easy, but don't worry too much about it whatever happens. Be thrilled she is on a good path.

Jun 8, 2019
My DD, 11u now, started pitching IR about a month and a half ago. She was with an HE coach that she loved too, but when we couldn't find time to work with her during the summer, I said let's try another PC for now. It wouldn't hurt to see someone else and get a fresh look. Well when we did, it was awesome. Just like your DD, my DD came out of the first pitching lesson with a HUGE smile after throwing strikes so effortlessly. And she even said, "I think I don't want to see my old coach anymore." So we haven't looked back. The HE coach taught her good basic mechanics (minus the IR), so it was just a few tweaks that she had to learn: keep body open at 45 through release, pull elbow to hip faster, and throw through the body.

Initially, after the first lesson, you would think that, yeah she has this down, because the coach had her throwing strikes, but when we practiced on our own, she was throwing inside (right hand batter) and ball was hitting the ground. Emailed the PC, told us what she was doing wrong, had her read the email, she understood, and then come tournament weekend, she threw the most accurate I have ever seen her throw. 20 strikes in 9 innings. It's a beautiful thing when your DD gets it.

Now, does she automatically throw strikes all the time? That's a big fat NO. She sometimes forgets one thing and it throws her off. But has her accuracy gone up? YES. Her PC coach teaches her "WHY" he has her throw with certain mechanics, so she can now self adjust without him seeing her. Has her speed gone up? YES and I am so happy we switched to the 12in and 40 feet away because those 11in balls came so fast. Boy did it hurt sometimes if I did not catch it in the right glove spot. And locating balls is also easier now with IR.

She still struggles to break away from keeping her elbow bent from 12 o'clock all the way through, but there is a visible difference already. Her PC coach says it's all about just chipping away the wrong mechanics but there is already so much going right. If your daughter has had an HE coach that taught some good mechanics, your DD will understand that it may just be making minor tweaks to the switch. Keep practicing. Switching to IR is AMAZING and so worth it!

Sep 20, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys. I think we both are a bit nervous right now. But excited at the same time! New coach doesnt really have a spot for her in the line up yet but says she should be able to find a few random openings a month. We pitched today and I would say she is already getting the fastball under control. She threw alot of strikes. But the CU has a lot of work to do. Kinda frustrated her because its one of her favorite pitches and I just don't know what it is supposed to look like yet so I cant help her. Luckily the other pitcher on our team has been with this coach a long time and I reminded DD you can always ask her for some pointers. She kinda looked at me weird but hey, gotta do what we gotta do...

May 16, 2019
When BM rocked our world with IR , I was giving lessons to over 50 students. The conversion took some time and all agreed it was easier, smoother, and they could throw faster with more accuracy. Missing down and in is normal at 1st.

2 take a ways I learned
If the ball spin looks strange check to see that the palm is facing up going down the backside. Many would turn the ball toward 2nd base at the top of the circle out of habit.

No slamming the door. Rotate the leg independent of the hip.
Good luck
Thank You BoardMember

Aug 30, 2014
Central Ohio
Your comment about pain really hits home. Buddy of mines daughter was constantly in pain at 8-9 years old. Turned him on to IR and specifically Tincher and she has been working that now for about 18 months give or take. Will be pitching in PGF national 12U finals this afternoon and has been absolutely pain free since making the change. I would encourage you to continue down the IR path as at the end of the day you will be very happy with it. Good luck with the journey.

Sep 20, 2017
Im still not entirely sure her new coach is "IR" at least I'm not sure she would call it that.. lol But I have seen her named mentioned here a few times. But right out of the gate when she saw her pitch, she cringed and said "We're not doing that anymore!" lol I was like YES! she definitely has her, more sideways, not pulling the hip through and finishing across the body. She hasn't even mentioned Whip, but did talk about driving the line and brush, told DD something along the lines of girls have hips, You cant get the proper brush if your hip is in the way... She got straight to work and I cant wait for our next appointment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802