The Saga of Rebuilding a School Program: A parent-coach's journal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
Actually topspin is more problematic on turf..lol.

The worst incident we had was one that landed in front of an outfielder and jumped probably 8ft back toward the infield. Momentum carried her forward as she lunged back out after it and she crashed..lol

All in all though, they really gamed up and took some shots. It hit chests and masks and they didn't seem to care. By about halfway into the second game the infield had started to get more of a read on things.

Jun 8, 2016
They were fine with it. Most of the teams had them on. We had one girl wearing spikes, which they probably wouldn't have been thrilled about, but there was some personal drama surrounding said spikes so we just stayed out of it and planned to apologize later. I didn't see any signs though.

thanks for reading!
Yeah molded cleats would be better than metal spikes. Those are usually allowed. Most MS kids around here (at least the ones that play TB) wear metal spikes so that is what I thought you were talking about..sorry.

Jun 8, 2016
The worst incident we had was one that landed in front of an outfielder and jumped probably 8ft back toward the infield. Momentum carried her forward as she lunged back out after it and she crashed..lol

All in all though, they really gamed up and took some shots. It hit chests and masks and they didn't seem to care. By about halfway into the second game the infield had started to get more of a read on things.
Hard hit topspin ground balls on turf do a job on kids not used to it. Timing of the footwork gets messed up.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Yeah molded cleats would be better than metal spikes. Those are usually allowed. Most MS kids around here (at least the ones that play TB) wear metal spikes so that is what I thought you were talking about..sorry.
Do they let the MS players wear metal spikes in OK? NY is weird about them. You can wear them in HS, but not MS. Unless you're in Catholic school, in which case it's molded only. And the local USSSA events only allow molded until they get to 14U.

Jun 8, 2016
Do they let the MS players wear metal spikes in OK?
Yes. Marcela guested with a 12u team at the end of the year and we had to go buy her molded cleats just for that one tournament since metal isn’t allowed for 12u..killed me to do that. Hopefully I can unload them at some point..

Jan 25, 2022
We had to address DD2's shoes for the second game. More to come on that one. I appreciate you guys reading. Hopefully it's not too terribly boring and you aren't just hanging on to see how it all ends. ;)

Jun 8, 2016
We had to address DD2's shoes for the second game. More to come on that one. I appreciate you guys reading. Hopefully it's not too terribly boring and you aren't just hanging on to see how it all ends. ;)
I am hoping for a Sixth Sense-like ending..like your DD is actually writing this after you and the wizard ran away together to Montana to live off the land..

Jan 25, 2022
I am hoping for a Sixth Sense-like ending..like your DD is actually writing this after you and the wizard ran away together to Montana to live off the land..

Hmmm...it'll probably be more like the other M. Night Shamalamadingdong movies. Youll be like "wtf did I just waste precious moments of my life reading??"

Jun 22, 2019
I’ve always seen turf fields be more consistent, but a little bouncy. I hate turf fields just because they get so freaking hot in the summer.

One field my girls played on allowed metal spikes. Our girls had turf shoes, but a team we played every girl had metal spikes. The park was well aware and didn't have a problem with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802