The purpose and rules of the technical hitting forum

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Because of the wide range of interests, some of which conflict, we have decided to split the old single hitting forum into two forums. This idea comes at the suggestion of Batsics1; we thank him for the suggestion.

This forum is designed for technical and theoretical discussion of hitting. In this forum, any source material to support your points is allowed. In other words, you can quote Epstein, Englishbey, Nyman or any other expert (including those from other sports) you want to support your point. You can post video of MLB players or high-level softball players and discuss their technique down to the nth degree.

The purpose is to help advance technical knowledge and foster an understanding of what makes a high-level swing. It is not for the faint of heart. Although all the "no personal attacks" rules still apply, and this forum will still be moderated, those posting and reading here can and should expect that emotions will run high at times as there are some very entrenched views. It may become uncomfortable. Read at your own risk.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Please is it possible for the members here to start using some edacity?
its very lowlife to make a point using someones elses DD.

If a point about the swing is to be made, please is it possible to use your own student, and how you as an instructor helped with the swing?

This is not possible with some, yet they continue you downgrade others, with spam and useless posts, trying to be funny, ruining threads, and driving parents and instructors away.

This place is really going downhill with these clowns.

Dec 29, 2010
Cannon, you and your dd have the last laugh. Shes playing college ball and crushing it with along with her studies. Doesnt matter which hitting philosophy, guru or alien you guys got your knowledge from. You and your dd figured it out and paid off in spades.

Jun 18, 2010
Mann, I understand your point and agree. However, the problem has always been that when a parent post video of their dd seeking help or opinions, that video is then out there for all to use. Lost then is the reason the original video was posted. For example, often the original video was posted to show progress while never being posted to show a finished product. From there, various camp members argue their positions. At times it is simply a matter of personalities. It doesn't take long for it to get personal.

Great point. Many, myself included, have taken video of DD trying to perform a suggested drill. The video when taken out of context looks horrible as far as mechanics or comparison to a high level swing. This phenomena happens to parents and instructors alike. The improper use of another members DD images to attack is pretty low and results in fewer members willing to video document/share their journey, and instead only share behind the scenes via private message with those they trust.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Great point. Many, myself included, have taken video of DD trying to perform a suggested drill. The video when taken out of context looks horrible as far as mechanics or comparison to a high level swing. This phenomena happens to parents and instructors alike. The improper use of another members DD images to attack is pretty low and results in fewer members willing to video document/share their journey, and instead only share behind the scenes via private message with those they trust.

VERY VERY unfortunate.

This is exactly the opposite of what this site could be.

You see, just because IT CAN HAPPEN, the wrong use of a clip, should not mean it should be ALLOWED to happen, or tolerated.

I want to see Knightb's daughter improve. I can tell you care.

I am stubborn, but I am driven to do the best I can for my kids, blood or students and players, and would like to see the improvements and HOW IT WAS DONE.

This hesitation to post, is the result of poor etiquette, a lack of morals, that should be policed, exposed, controlled in some way, from those that have the power to do so.

Feb 12, 2014
FWIW, I am pretty new here and new to softball in general. A few weeks ago, I posted about an issue my DD was having with her swing in the practical forum. I described the issue as best I could but was asked to post a video. I chose not to and the thread died - not before the obligatory Miggy gif without comment post was added however. My decision was based on the fear that my DD's swing would be verbally attacked and then subsequently used without permission as a negative illustration by those who don't have the courage to post their own videos.

I've learned a great deal from this site and I am sure I'll learn much more. But, I can't imagine I'm alone in my thinking, and that is a shame for such a great resource. I hope that, with time, I'll gain more confidence and feel that I can post DD's swing. I admire people like Cannonball who have done it and absorbed the slings and arrows.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
As long as we are sharing opinions here, you can listen to mine…..or ignore it, which is the point of my opinion.
#1. READ THE FIRST POST THAT THE MONITOR POSTED:
those posting and reading here can and should expect that emotions will run high at times as there are some very entrenched views. It may become uncomfortable. Read at your own risk.
Those passionate that are posting here could simply go away. Look up the other softball forums. Everyone is nice, happy, and don't disagree with anything. There are extremely few posts and they have very little info in them. Now look at the Tech Hitting forum, the slow pitch forum at sball fans, BBD…the monitors give freedom, and the forums are very busy. Which would you guys prefer. A semi free forum that also gives you the freedom to ignore, or a forum like some of you "wish" for that no one posts in or cares about.

#2. Mann. No one has made a point using someone's dd that their parent didn't all ready make points about. As far as me being funny and degrading people, that is between me and him. Use the ignore option and ignore me.

#3 Knightsb. First, sorry, I completely forgot to call you yesterday. Second, maybe I missed something, but I don't remember anyone using your dd's vids poorly. If they did, I am sure my, Ray/buttermaker, and others raised their passion levels.

#4 CB You do what you like, and I know I have Pm or posted that you have been a lot of help, BUT that to my personal dislike, most of your posts now include how abused you and your dd have been for you posting. Prove me wrong if you like, but no one on DFP has ever said anything negative about Brianna's swing…EVER. So I don't understand why you raise the drama level with the newbs here like someone has and they just missed it.

#5 Reagansdad…I know you posted something recently seemingly against RDB. RDB is my bud, and I am one sided on the matter, but he posted his daughter and SL went straight to the throat. RDB was very angry, and then Len and him went back and force. SO WHAT! SL, RDB, Me, FFS, Ray (Buttermaker) etc, have gone around for years, and each and everyone of them I have had kind private messages with, and I personal care for all of them. It's our "club", don't like it, stay out (meaning don't read it). I challenge you to find any swing here of a girl that "was verbally attacked". PLEASE! DO IT! Our passionate group my "attack" the teaching and theories, but never the girl. If anyone prevents newbs from posting vids, it is people that create drama that simple doesn't exist. You say CB absorbed the slings and arrows….I will owe you my appoligize when you show me somewhere from DFP that he had received slings and arrows for his dd's swing video.

#6. I don't post my dd because I believe it can do nothing to help her recruiting. The people who I care about their opinion, have seen it. Everyone else, I simple do not value their opinion.

#7. If some didn't like the exchange in RDB and SL's thread, then guess what, it probably didn't have anything to do with you, so ignore it. Change the channel. Then stop making "GIRLS SWINGS ARE BEING ATTACKED" claims that simple do not exist.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

– “Citizenship in a Republic,” Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910

Although we have to change man to softball player where appropriate.

Aww ... Theodore Roosevelt's "THE MAN IN THE ARENA" speech. One of my personal favorites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802