The post-game speech

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2017
That makes sense. If you are incapable of coaching your team, try to recruit your way to mediocrity. All 12 girls should find a new place to play if that is the way it's going to work.
About six weeks later the org folded the team as the same coach was using the team funds for his personal piggy bank so they all ended up having to.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: PDM

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
About six weeks later the org folded the team as the same coach was using the team funds for his personal piggy bank so they all ended up having to.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Seems like it was worth the lost funds to be away from that "coach".

Oct 10, 2019
My oldest DD had a coach in 12u that would take 30 min. at least to go over god knows what after each game. I swore to myself that if I ever coached I would never go over 2 min.
I did have to break my promise when youngest DD 10U team lost the championship game in a heart breaking fashion and it took me a good 5 mins to get them to stop crying and start laughing and smiling again. I did that by not even talking about the game.

Oct 10, 2019
My most popular speech to the kids and parents I ever gave was at the end of a 98 degree, 3 game set day. I called the team and parents around and said
I am proud of how hard you girls played in this heat, let's get out of here so you guys can go to the hotel and jump in the pool and have some fun and us parents can go find a beverage that rhymes with deer.
I got a big round of applause from everyone.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
My most popular speech to the kids and parents I ever gave was at the end of a 98 degree, 3 game set day. I called the team and parents around and said
I am proud of how hard you girls played in this heat, let's get out of here so you guys can go to the hotel and jump in the pool and have some fun and us parents can go find a beverage that rhymes with deer.
I got a big round of applause from everyone.
I would have done the same. Good job!

Oct 3, 2019
Some of the coaches do it out of good intentions but there are some coaches out there that do it to make sure that everybody knows that the reason they lost was not due to them...
Like, "Hey coach, why'd you send me home when I run a 4.4 to first"?

Jan 31, 2011
I'm a high school coach. I try to take a few notes during each game about something that stuck out to me - good or bad. After the game, we talk briefly on each topic and keep it short & sweet. No talks are more than a few minutes. Keep it positive and productive. Ask a few questions & then say "see you tomorrow!"

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Ebby Calvin LaLoosh: A good friend of mine used to say, "This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
After a pretty awful finish to a game a week ago, I decided I was done with the post-game speeches. I've never found they have much value, and without them, everybody gets to go home sooner. I actually talked with my high school girls about it, and I think they agree that the speeches aren't very useful (maybe I'm just bad at them).

If we lost, the players know why we lost. Do I need to immediately point out that we made a bunch of errors? If we won, maybe a little bit more of a chat to point out some good games/good plays, but do we really need to sit there for 15 minutes to go over a random regular season win?

This isn't football. This is a sport where we play a lot of games, sometimes many days in a row, and even good teams have bad games. I made a point this year (during the HS season) of trying to reduce the importance of each individual game. Every game is not all or nothing. Losing a game on some random Tuesday afternoon isn't going to alter the entire course of our season, so why act like it will? A post-game speech just makes everything feel so heavy, and while there are certain moments where they might need an immediate team meeting, for most games? I just don't see how it's necessary. I'll make notes about the game after the fact and bring those thoughts to the next practice, you know, the place where we can actually do something to improve.

For the past couple games (one win, one loss), it's been pretty great. A quick couple lines, reminders about the next practice/game, letting the previous belt holder pass it on to the next person, and we're out.

Someone convince me the post-game speech is actually important.
I agree 100%. Now if we could just get the coaches to do away with the half inning huddles…….everyone would get home earlier….

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
I agree 100%. Now if we could just get the coaches to do away with the half inning huddles…….everyone would get home earlier….
The half inning huddles might be worse that the post game meetings. So incredibly worthless!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12