the official “our High School Coach doesn’t have a clue about coaching” thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2016
Completely opposite of this thread title - but I’m very happy with what our coaches are doing this year. They had 3 pitchers tryout for varsity and actually evaluated them all on two different days so far and will get a 3rd read next week. Looking at speed (actually clocking them), accuracy, and movement. They also are only keeping 12 on varsity this year. Very excited for the season to start. First game this coming Thursday!

Good to hear such stories.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I should have set the scene to fully explain it. This was during a tryout. Only 6 of the 21 girls trying out play TB, the rest of them only play school ball, and many don't have many basic skills down. DD thought it was odd for girls who do not know fundamentals to do a drill like this.

If this is a valid drill during a tryout, then that is good to know.

Based on that scenario, I'm not sure it is a drill that I would do at a tryout. When DD was still in high school, she was the only travel ball player on the team her final two years. I'm quite sure doing this drill with that group would have been quite entertaining... We specifically did it as a warm up drill with our 12u and 14u travel teams (and once in a while at 16u and 18u). We set up the players in a 4 corners position and threw the ball around the infield with clockwise turns, and then with counter clockwise turns. Our focus was on good accurate throws, smooth transition from receiving to throwing, quick feet, and good positioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802