the official “our High School Coach doesn’t have a clue about coaching” thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
How disappointing so far. My DD makes varsity and is the main pitcher as a freshman. Now after 3 games it has become obvious that the HC has no clue how to call pitches much less coach the girls on offense or defense. He has continued to call curveballs over and over though my daughter has told him twice that it is her weakest pitch. He avoids her best pitches, he doesn’t know how to set up batters then strike them out. In last nights game my DD’s last two inning, it looked like he had started to figure it out and was striking girls out in 3 or 4 pitches. I mentioned it to my daughter after the game and she said that’s when she started throwing what was needed and not what he was calling.
I keep telling her she needs to go talk to him about this and try to convince him to try calling her using the pitches that she knows will work in the correct sequences. Then if he still doesn’t listen to either start shaking him off or just throw what’s needed.

Someone tell me things will get better.

Apr 28, 2014
Last year my DD was the starting pitcher as a freshman. I was nervous as our HS program has a strong history of success.
Same thing first few weeks issues with pitch calling. Coach figured it out and DD began to improve her rise ball, which is what he wanted all along. They had a great season going 20-4.
And her rise is now her go to pitch. Give it time.

L

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How disappointing so far. My DD makes varsity and is the main pitcher as a freshman. Now after 3 games it has become obvious that the HC has no clue how to call pitches much less coach the girls on offense or defense. He has continued to call curveballs over and over though my daughter has told him twice that it is her weakest pitch. He avoids her best pitches, he doesn’t know how to set up batters then strike them out. In last nights game my DD’s last two inning, it looked like he had started to figure it out and was striking girls out in 3 or 4 pitches. I mentioned it to my daughter after the game and she said that’s when she started throwing what was needed and not what he was calling.
I keep telling her she needs to go talk to him about this and try to convince him to try calling her using the pitches that she knows will work in the correct sequences. Then if he still doesn’t listen to either start shaking him off or just throw what’s needed.

Someone tell me things will get better.

If she does get to the point of being able to call her own pitches, she needs to figure out some way to communicate the pitch to the catcher.

Good luck.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
We have these same High School posts / threads every year! This past Saturday we had a cold practice at our indoor facility, there was 5 or 6 different Dads who came up to me to share their disgust and hatred for HS ball and their DD’s coaches! Happens every year at almost the same practice!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
HS ball can be frustrating, especially for Pitcher Daddies. You have to step and back and look at what is really happening on the field.

1) Don't make excuses for your DD. It is really easy to blame the coach, the weather, the umpire, the catcher, whoever. (True story: At a game last year, a batter hit a line drive off the RF wall. Pitcher Daddy blamed RF for not knowing a proper drop step.) Your DD has to adapt and learn how to win games. Saying, "Oh, honey, it is not your fault" is not helpful.

2) HS ball presents a different set of challenges than TB. Your DD hasn't adapted yet. HS ball isn't easy, especially in Texas.

3) The whole "pitch sequence" thing is a myth for TB and HS ball. Most TB and HS pitchers don't have any breaking pitches in the first place.

A kid with decent speed throwing over the black part of the plate and hitting her corners 10/10 times, will do great.

4) The use of "drop ball/rise ball/curve ball/screwball" is done to humor most pitchers.

Jul 4, 2012
He avoids her best pitches, he doesn’t know how to set up batters then strike them out.
I keep telling her she needs to go talk to him about this and try to convince him to try calling her using the pitches that she knows will work in the correct sequences.

Would you mind sharing the sequence(s) you refer to?

May 15, 2016
HS ball can be frustrating, especially for Pitcher Daddies.

Catcher Dads as well.

Last year DD's HC told her not to throw down to second base on a steal until the SS gets to the bag.

Winter pitcher/catcher training now. New HC told her not to shift to receive the ball after giving the sign. He said it is only going to confuse the pitcher. Guess he hasn't seen Paige Halstead catch. I wonder if he has seen a college game. DD's travel team is teaching the girls to be college players, I guess the HS HC sights do next extend beyond 12th grade.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Last year DD's HC told her not to throw down to second base on a steal until the SS gets to the bag.

Oh, boy...:facepalm:

New HC told her not to shift to receive the ball after giving the sign. He said it is only going to confuse the pitcher. Guess he hasn't seen Paige Halstead catch. I wonder if he has seen a college game. DD's travel team is teaching the girls to be college players, I guess the HS HC sights do next extend beyond 12th grade.

Same as above.

Oct 4, 2018
Not pitching what the coach asks for sounds like it won't end well. Sad it's come to this. Are these HS coaches qualified to coach, or just the one teacher who didn't have a sport and got the assignment?

Nov 16, 2015
Not pitching what the coach asks for sounds like it won't end well. Sad it's come to this. Are these HS coaches qualified to coach, or just the one teacher who didn't have a sport and got the assignment?

or maybe parents are way too involved with tunnel vision that "their" way is best and only way to do something

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28