The Load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I'm not spamming this, I've already stated my input on it...you just keep pulling me in :D...in every video of any hitter you can see the shoulder chest movement just prior to hands taking over. If one only used hands as the primary firing action, there would be multiple adjustment issues, as once the hands go you can't do anything except slow them down. Leaking, lunging, reaching. Mostly hand problems, NOT always, early weight dumps as well, but mostly rushing impatient hands.

Just going back to the original post. The foundation of a consistent swing is all about weight balance in the legs, and the ability to toe time and heel slam appropriately as it gets you on time. There is Sooooooo much more than that, but if you don't have the balance, timing from toe to heel, and weight load on rear hip, while seperating, all else will be moot for any consistency. Once the ground part is consistent, then one can work out from there.

I love you all, over and out.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes this has been the popular opinion for the last decade. It has produced many powerful swings w no adjustability. Main reason being the hands will always be behind rotation. Just like you described. In actuality what’s behind is the bat and the ‘timing’ of the hit tool.

What you’re actually seeing when the hips and torso are opening is stretch and torque. The actual launch of the swing incorporates the chest and hands against the shoulders and hips. A catapult of sorts. The goal is to get the sternum and hands to line up at contact which is squaring the ball. That’s just not possible w torso rotation ahead of the hands. The hands never catch up to active rotation which causes rollovers, flares, drag, casting and dumping.

Many of the well known hitting facilities have just recently discovered this and are now reporting faster, easier, consistent results.

Do you see the hands start to come forward before the chest rotates? Just like his practice swing. And some well known hitting gurus as well as many others say the pros don’t know what they do. 😆😆😆

View attachment 27487

Yes, he chops in the swing. He also has a high load position where he hangs and lowers into into the launch. It’s a very high pitch. You always finish lower on a high pitch, I think that’s common knowledge. This is showing an inside pitch again and this time it’s high and inside. Let’s see a outside and low location.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes, he chops in the swing. He also has a high load position where he hangs and lowers into into the launch. It’s a very high pitch. You always finish lower on a high pitch, I think that’s common knowledge. This is showing an inside pitch again and this time it’s high and inside. Let’s see a outside and low location.

Looks down the middle to me the reason the hands are more active forward is to timing up in zone which needs to be quicker. Much like an inside pitch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I'm not spamming this, I've already stated my input on it...you just keep pulling me in :D...in every video of any hitter you can see the shoulder chest movement just prior to hands taking over. If one only used hands as the primary firing action, there would be multiple adjustment issues, as once the hands go you can't do anything except slow them down. Leaking, lunging, reaching. Mostly hand problems, NOT always, early weight dumps as well, but mostly rushing impatient hands.

Just going back to the original post. The foundation of a consistent swing is all about weight balance in the legs, and the ability to toe time and heel slam appropriately as it gets you on time. There is Sooooooo much more than that, but if you don't have the balance, timing from toe to heel, and weight load on rear hip, while seperating, all else will be moot for any consistency. Once the ground part is consistent, then one can work out from there.

I love you all, over and out.

Hey it’s all good. Thanks for playing.

Jul 31, 2019
I understand where you’re coming from. But it’s the same on an outside pitch as well. The lead arm will lay more across the chest as the adjustment. But the shoulders will remain slave to the hands. After the hands initiate. As your example shows above. Conveniently you left out the hands initial ‘planing’-‘positioning’ or force application. Here’s another outside pitch where the hands are initiating before the shoulders.

View attachment 27480

Hands initiate things no matter where/what the pitch is.

View attachment 27482
View attachment 27481

The hands always bring the back side. Including the shoulders. The reason why the shoulders seem to open early is committal of the barrel is early relative to the sequential body kinematics. Bc the pitch is hit deeper. Aka less rotation

Edit: it is always optimal to have the hands/knob inline w the sternum at contact. That’s called ‘squaring’ the ball up.
how far do the hands travel before the shoulders begin to rotate? I teach my kids to move the hands just inside the back shoulder (knob is points towards the 4-3 hole for a RHH). Is that correct?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
how far do the hands travel before the shoulders begin to rotate? I teach my kids to move the hands just inside the back shoulder (knob is points towards the 4-3 hole for a RHH). Is that correct?

I keep it a bit more dynamic. Knob at the ball. IOW hit it where it’s pitched. Naturally as Shawn pointed out, the hands will travel a bit farther for an inside pitch vs very little for an outside pitch. The way I see it, you need to ‘swing’ against something.. so the front foot needs to be on the ground before initiation of the swing. That accompanied w the proper torso torques or reactive rotation and you can achieve adjustable whip. The front arm should naturally shorten or lengthen according to pitch location. Other adjustment methods like ‘sitting’ work to delay the swing as well. Hitters will usually use what naturally works for them. Proprioception comes through trial and error.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Looks down the middle to me the reason the hands are more active forward is to timing up in zone which needs to be quicker. Much like an inside pitch.

From what I can see it moves middle late. It was inside until lateUnless my eyes are deceiving me.

Ok, I looked at the swing frame by frame. He is not making an adjustment. Not sure why you chose that swing. What you showed in previous swings isn’t present in this swing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
From what I can see it moves middle late. It was inside until lateUnless my eyes are deceiving me.

Ok, I looked at the swing frame by frame. He is not making an adjustment. Not sure why you chose that swing. What you showed in previous swings isn’t present in this swing.

Force always proceeds motion. That barrel is being ‘turned’ (force applied) or the knob is being pulled (cause and effect) before the chest moves forward. Remember it’s an away-ish high pitch. Rotation and hand path are in shorter window bc we hit the ball deeper and sooner w those locations.

1677587501248.gif
1677587430002.gif

The hands always bring the chest

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478