The level of coaches & umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The thing is though.... parents usually don't know the rules either. I've coached with/against plenty of coaches who don't, too. (And, of course, there have been a few plays over the years where I didn't know the rule, though I'm not arguing if I don't know the rules. I'm making a note of it and looking it up later.)

Even most of the very bad umpires we've had have a better knowledge of the rules then the collective of parents who attend games.
When I posted this it's not about society's griping.

It was a question that is~
Do you think that any umpire can properly officiate any Talent level of games on the field?
Same question of coaches~
Do you think any level of Coach can be a coach for any Talent level on the field?

The way that current other posts have brought out feedback... could ask the question how many people want the inexperienced umpire/coach at the tournament everybody as a team is spending $25,000 to $35,000 to be at?
As an example, That is a reference to playing in Colorado.
Could be anywhere tho...

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018
CT
When I posted this it's not about society's griping.

It was a question that is~
Do you think that any umpire can properly officiate any Talent level of games on the field?
Same question of coaches~
Do you think any level of Coach can be a coach for any Talent level on the field?

The way that current other posts have brought out feedback... could ask the question how many people want the inexperienced umpire/coach at the tournament everybody as a team is spending $25,000 to $35,000 to be at?
As an example, That is a reference to playing in Colorado.
Could be anywhere tho...

Umpire talent is a combo of rules knowledge, game management, mechanics, judgement.

Ironically rules knowledge is probably more important at lower talent level games, where the really weird stuff happens a lot more often.

Mechanics and judgement are more important at higher talent level games where the speed is a lot faster.

Game management is important at all levels.

Apr 14, 2022
This becomes less and less true as the definition of "routine balls" expands.

At 12u, if you just catch every easy pop up, convert ground balls right at fielders into outs, don't allow runners on dropped third, etc., you're going to win almost every game.

In Major League Baseball, those plays are made almost every time. It's the other plays, the more difficult plays, those close plays that decide most games. The trick is that our brains don't really notice the "almost" plays (and we can't really judge if other players would've made those plays). We just notice the errors on routine plays.
What stats do you base that on? 2021 8.6% of all mlb runs were unearned. In 2021The medium team for unearned runs was 58 the medium team for drs was 22. The team making the fewest errors wins 64% of the time.

Jun 8, 2016
The team making the fewest errors wins 64% of the time.
Do you have a similar stat which compares the winning percentage of the team which has a higher advanced fielding metric for the game because otherwise you didn’t disprove anything he said..

Apr 26, 2018
Hi All, I'm just jumping in to plug both coach & umpire training. Here at FSU COACH, we offer both a graduate certificate and a master's degree in athletic coaching (both fully online!). We teach the "other" skills (ethics, sport psy, helping skills, theory, human performance, etc.) because we are coaches that understand what can help. Check us out here: https://fsu-coach.fsu.edu/ Our students are graduate students ranging from recreational level (some have never coached) to college to professional organizations. I'm happy to answer any questions.

As for umpires, I personally have worked the mental game with over 300+ umpires of various levels. I encourage umpires to check out Diamond Umpire Academy. I've worked with Christie and staff as an outside consultant and can tell you she is genuine and a good teacher. Check them out here: https://www.diamondumpireacademy.com/about/ There are other training camps and I've only worked with DUA but I like what I see.

Jun 8, 2016
Hi All, I'm just jumping in to plug both coach & umpire training. Here at FSU COACH, we offer both a graduate certificate and a master's degree in athletic coaching (both fully online!).
What a coincidence, I trained at FU Coach.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
Wonder the percentage that happens no evaluation pitch calls n mechanics???
Quite high. In almost 30 years I've been to 2 clinics/camps that actually evaluated my strike zone and mechanics. One was U-Trip the other an NCAA. The others are just classroom death by powerpoint .

Apr 14, 2022
Do you have a similar stat which compares the winning percentage of the team which has a higher advanced fielding metric for the game because otherwise you didn’t disprove anything he said..
Why disprove an unproven opinion? Why can they not prove their own point? I was showing stats to support my opinion.
I gave 3 stats to support my case. 1. MLB players make every play. Stat to counteract is 8.6% of runs are unearned. 2. Median unearned runs is greater than medium dwar.
3. Winning % when committing fewer errors. This is over 186000 games.
Errors figure into the advanced metrics. An error could count -.93.

Jun 8, 2016
Why disprove an unproven opinion? Why can they not prove their own point? I was showing stats to support my opinion.
I gave 3 stats to support my case. 1. MLB players make every play. Stat to counteract is 8.6% of runs are unearned. 2. Median unearned runs is greater than medium dwar.
3. Winning % when committing fewer errors. This is over 186000 games.
Errors figure into the advanced metrics. An error could count -.93.
The fact that teams who make less errors win more makes sense. His point (I think) was that teams who are better at fielding overall, which would include errors but also other things, would win more which also makes sense right?

Apr 14, 2022
The fact that teams who make less errors win more makes sense. His point (I think) was that teams who are better at fielding overall, which would include errors but also other things, would win more which also makes sense right?
Yes not just with fielding. Fewer walks, fewer swings at balls, more first pitch strikes, and hitting the easy pitches. Also not to discount you can do both.
But to assume they would be better causing a higher win % does not understand 186000 games.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rathouse