The Lean

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
good stuff @Bonesaw . But the big question is......how do you teach it? Do you tell kids to have their hammy suck back their knee? We can call it whatever we want and I am not knocking you at all but please elaborate on how this would be taught. I really do think you have some potentially good points but "how do you teach it" "what do you say". Pointing out what is happending and calling it something and actually teaching it is quite different. Again, not a knock, but how do you teach it and what do you say? This COULD be a big help if others want to listen or walk away..

S3

Good question! The running mechanics are a good start. Feel like your kicking that foot out and then sucking back under to the max!

I've had some good success with a young DD. Here she is "pulling back" (at least that whats she says!).

My thing is I have seen girls working on this and "hopping" on the finish. I think that is the wrong way to do it.

I found this in the stickies. I think this is not a good example of how it should work(no offense to anyone it is very hard)

UnLlPB.gif

This is quad pushing/jumping

Edit: The easiest way to feel this is to stand up and put your stride foot out in front while being upright with your torso. Then try to drag your stride foot back underneath you! Watch watch happens to your butt, hammies and torso.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2012
USA
thanks for posting @Bonesaw and Happy New Year to you and your family!!! Just trying to help a bit but check out drive mechanics if you haven't already. @javasource does an amazing job on this. Different strokes for different folks for sure but not real sure hammy sucking back the knee is going to help many kids. Probably the opposite to be honest and maybe more description than neccessary. Again, different strokes for different folks and it is absolutely crazy what works for one girl and not the other. Seen if over and over for years now so as coaches and teachers we have to figure out works and "turns on the light bulb" for that particular player.

Anyway, and most importantly, I appreciate your interest in pitching and making your DD and whoever else better. But I am not sure what you have figured out is going to help your DD and others. Not here to knock it I promise. But the vid you posted has some really good stuff yet the drive has probably the most to work on. I hate even saying that as I love the fact you had the trust to post something. But, she is currently stepping and not driving, her drive foot turns(turning is not bad but twisting is) and doesn't push or drive, I could go on but at her age that is completely expected. She can be really good! But I just don't think the happy knee suck thing is what will help her or what others shoud take from this.

I will look again tomorrow but just trying to help you out and anyone reading this.

S3

Nov 25, 2012
USA
and the girl in the GIF is really solid. Needs work on frontside resistence so not hopping but really solid. Not sure I wouldn't try to model after her and pretty sure she throws the ball hard, consistent, and wherever she wants for her age.

Feb 25, 2020
thanks for posting @Bonesaw and Happy New Year to you and your family!!! Just trying to help a bit but check out drive mechanics if you haven't already. @javasource does an amazing job on this. Different strokes for different folks for sure but not real sure hammy sucking back the knee is going to help many kids. Probably the opposite to be honest and maybe more description than neccessary. Again, different strokes for different folks and it is absolutely crazy what works for one girl and not the other. Seen if over and over for years now so as coaches and teachers we have to figure out works and "turns on the light bulb" for that particular player.

Anyway, and most importantly, I appreciate your interest in pitching and making your DD and whoever else better. But I am not sure what you have figured out is going to help your DD and others. Not here to knock it I promise. But the vid you posted has some really good stuff yet the drive has probably the most to work on. I hate even saying that as I love the fact you had the trust to post something. But, she is currently stepping and not driving, her drive foot turns(turning is not bad but twisting is) and doesn't push or drive, I could go on but at her age that is completely expected. She can be really good! But I just don't think the happy knee suck thing is what will help her or what others shoud take from this.

I will look again tomorrow but just trying to help you out and anyone reading this.

S3

Haha Happy New Years Buddy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45