The latest guru on Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
yes...Supination is after/at launch

Understood .... But back to the "strong wrist".

You advocate a "strong wrist" beginning at "swing launch" .... how far into the swing do you advocate the top hand wrist remaining strong? By 'strong', what do you mean ... do you mean that the top hand wrist is stiff and in alignment with the rear forearm?

Sep 7, 2017
Understood .... But back to the "strong wrist".

You advocate a "strong wrist" beginning at "swing launch" .... how far into the swing do you advocate the top hand wrist remaining strong? By 'strong', what do you mean ... do you mean that the top hand wrist is stiff and in alignment with the rear forearm?

What I mean by strong wrist is do not let the wrist supinate...lay the bat down

Strong top hand until the body reactively releases the barrel

Sep 7, 2017
The wrist/forearm does not supinate first! As the photo shows.

I think that's pretty clear and answers the question.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I do not teach to swing down on the ball...Down as in chopping down

That depends on how you teach and understand the concept of 'swing down'.

I have hitters that grasp the concept of 'swing down' and produce consistent line drives with the concept.

Again ... it comes down to how one understands the concept ... as many teachings of 'swing down' are improper ... but not all teachings of 'swing down' are improper.

Sep 7, 2017
Just teaching them what all the greats do. Lead shoulder works up, rear works down (via lateral tilt), rotation of shoulders, rear arm adducts(gets closer to the body) all before the hands work

Sep 7, 2017
This is what is effectively the smallest radius possible maximizes both your angular velocity (how fast bat gets to hitting area) and linear velocity (how much momentum is transferred to ball)

Sep 7, 2017
Regardless if I'm ultimately right or not, respect the fact that Im highly skeptical of this LATEST CRAZE and Im trying to challenge it with what I see. I currently believe that this framework makes sense.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
DUp ... you have a fair amount correct.

At 'swing launch' there will be structure in the top-hand wrist. This structure needs to be short lived and move quickly to being loose/oily/hinge-like.

The top-hand in a good swing becomes 'bent' ... that is, the top-hand wrist becomes radially deviated and extended.

Manny_Bent_Top_Hand.gif

IMO a better focus on wrist tension is on being loose/oily/whippy/hinge-like, and not stiff/strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802