the knob of the bat to the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2008
not that I know anything, but I finally took my girl to a hitting coach last night. He teaches to fire the hips first and fire them quickly..........then the hands follow. He also widened her stance......

She has been struggling this year and seemed to do well with the new stuff. I hope it helps..........she's been bummed about letting her team down!

May 12, 2008
That's really what it's all about isn't it? Helping a hard working kid to achieve some success.

Jun 27, 2008
One of my DD's hitting coach praises this alot and I always wondered if that was the correct term to use, thanks for the post.

My post above IS what the best in the world do. I know this because I WAS one of the best fastpitch softball hitters in the world-- still am, actually. And I was one of the few baseball players capable of making the transition successfully from one game to the other and back ---often on the same day.

:cool:

If you "roll" your hands prior to contact, good luck :)

May 12, 2008
itsallgood,

I'm always interested in video of elite hitters. Perhaps you could get us one of your game clips?

May 12, 2008
Like any cue it depends on how the hitter interprets it. Properly interpreted it's a great cue. Unfortunately there are a LOT of fp coaches and hitters interpreting it this way. Photo 18 of 31, Analysis

That clip is from an advertisement trying to sell that cement trowel looking thing and the people are based out of a cage where they are apparently teaching such. I've watched nationals qualifying gold coaches propose the same thing teaching the hitters to punch the ball off the tee with the knob. So is it a good cue? Only as good as the interpretation and I guarantee you saying this cue to a pro baseball hitter brings a different interpretation than saying this cue to a youth coach or player more often than not at least IME.

The old saying is, "any given cue any given day with any given hitter can be golden". Obviously there is another side to that coin as well.

May 12, 2008
Thinking about something else he said about the bathead staying above the hands. Interpreted one way it says to me keep the bathead back/keep the hinge angle relationship of approximately 90 degrees from the bottom hand forearm to the bat through much of the early part of the swing. Absolutely what I see elite hitters doing. Interpreted literally, it's obviously incorrect since the bathead obviously gets below the hands by contact on anything in the zone. So you have to figure out what he meant by that cue and as always, compare anything anyone says to slow motion video of the best in the world.

KAT

May 13, 2008
ok so this is k inda late

ok....Mark I have a question. I have noticed on those images you put up that most of the women are not getting quite so light on their back foot, why do you think that is??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478