The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
During the Florida and Alabama game on 04/09/2018 at Alabama the narrators were discussing Barnhill and her called for illegal pitches this year and how it had affected her. One of the narrators made the statement that when she is called for an illegally pitch and has to change from her normal style her speed drops to 64 – 63 MPH.

View attachment 12799

Another thing that was discussed is the number of walks Alex Osorio gives up; she walked 12 in that game and 11 in another game the same weekend in the Florida series, according to the narrators. It was mentioned that no other pitcher in recent memory had given up so many walks and still considered to be among one of the elite pitchers in the country. I have to admit she was throwing some pitches close to the coroners, but the ump was showing no love to her outside pitches, and the fans were giving it to him.

I sat down and watched a few minutes in between some remodeling projects at the house. One of the announcers said that KB has been "known for" illegal pitches and being called for illegal pitches "throughout her career" and the other announcer basically just skipped over the comment and nothing to say LOL. I immediately thought of this thread when that happened.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It is obvious that Barnhill has changed her mechanics considerably to limit the number of IPs called. At times she actually looks legal. Kind of blows up the myth that mechanics are so ingrained that illegal pitchers cannot change and pitch legally.

Jul 9, 2016
It is obvious that Barnhill has changed her mechanics considerably to limit the number of IPs called. At times she actually looks legal. Kind of blows up the myth that mechanics are so ingrained that illegal pitchers cannot change and pitch legally.

Kind of believe she was taught the way of mens pitching to be able to throw in the 2020 Olympics which is legal to hop and replant I believe...

Until the 2 organizations can agree, Barnhill will have to change her ways for a couple of years in the NCAA. She still is leaping to the left line and seems to be having a great start to this season.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Kind of believe she was taught the way of mens pitching to be able to throw in the 2020 Olympics which is legal to hop and replant I believe...

Until the 2 organizations can agree, Barnhill will have to change her ways for a couple of years in the NCAA. She still is leaping to the left line and seems to be having a great start to this season.

Not sure I agree with that, but I'll play along.
She stated in a recent interview she was in middle school when she heard softball had been dropped from the Olympics. She is now a Junior in college. What happened to those 8 years? No attempt to correct?

What I think is:
People were/are scared to call her out, because she is the golden child of the circle and the next coming of Jennie Finch.
It's her or her coach's (or both) conscious decision to pitch illegally that has worked in her favor up to this point. They are willing to take the risk of a few IPs for the reward.
She throws 4-5 mph faster when she is allowed to pitch illegally. She can keep that back foot on the ground when she has to, so it isn't a matter
of inability.

Last edited:

TMD

Feb 18, 2016

Pretty sure that only the leap is allowed in international play. Replant/crowhop is still illegal in international play.

The first edition of the new 7Innings Podcast had an interview with KB. While the interview didn't specifically address illegal pitches, the hosts did spend some time talking about and acknowledging KB's issues. Worth a listen.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

So if I understand correctly back in the day when I saw her leaping and replanting while she was in Middle School, it was because she was preparing for the 2020 Olympics?

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
Northwestern vs Ohio State 4/13/2018
Kenna Wilkey for Northwestern was call for Illegal Pitches. I counted 5 but it was (I think) a rebroadcast shorten version. So it could have been more. OSU coach appeared to be all over the 3rd base ump to call it more.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Do we need to get this retitled "illegal pitching thread"? lol

While I am glad to see more emphasis being placed on this call, I doubt it will affect us 14U teams very much. We will still have the same umps telling us they can't see it...

Apr 20, 2015
Lauren Rice was called multiple times today against Auburn and she's barely illegal if you really squint at it and only at times but that Auburn pitcher never gets called for the stupid pitching lane.... frustrating

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101