The Journey Begins

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2018
I don’t understand “bring the hip to the hand.” Are you referring to when the pitcher finishes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The idea is that people will say get your hand and elbow close to the hip to create brush contact.
It’s a better cue to say bring the hip to the hand to create brush. So as the elbow gets close to the hip bring the hip to the hand. In the video as I described she has significant monkey butt and a massive gap from elbow to hip. Bringing the hand to the hip wouldn’t be advisable. But to think about pushing the hip toward the hand can help correct the posture issue and force brush.
However, if the pitcher here does that she will know it because her arm and maybe even ball will crash into the hip and leg because the arm is straight. But at least then she would know her posture was correct.
Make sense?

May 20, 2019
We have been reviewing the Balswick videos on posture and will make posture our focus until its fixed. Then chase the other numerous flaws...lol

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Been a while since I posted progress. Still fighting posture but getting better. Also seems to be not entirely palm up down the backside. Control and velocity improving each week. Starting to get some better spin with 2 seam grip as well. Point out any other issues that jump out :)

That is one exciting kid! Bet she can light up a room when she walks in.

Please recognize that the fast pitch delivery is a very violent athletic movement. Rather than seeing the ‘monkey butt’ as a flaw, I see it as severe stress on the low vertebrates.

Her feet & knees are pointing behind a right-handed hitter before the stride starts. She doesn’t have a chance not to ‘monkey butt’

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
I don’t understand “bring the hip to the hand.” Are you referring to when the pitcher finishes?

May 20, 2019
As always great practical advise from this awesome group of guys/gals. Posture work tonight was very productive. Thanks to everyone for the great tips!

May 20, 2019
Tons of work on posture put in the last week. It's paying great dividends. Brush is getting more consistent and the front side resistance is getting much better. Picked up a ton of velocity. Did some drag box work as well and she is staying on the powerline much better. Her TB team loses their bracket pitcher end of the month so we are working really hard to get ready for more innings ;-)

May 20, 2019
Also @DrRiello that horseshoe handshake change you recommended is working really well. Honestly its more curveball than changeup but definitely off speed. Sometimes it has a nasty break to the outside on a RH batter. Struck out 2 batters last night in rec ball with that pitch :)

Nov 8, 2018
Also @DrRiello that horseshoe handshake change you recommended is working really well. Honestly its more curveball than changeup but definitely off speed. Sometimes it has a nasty break to the outside on a RH batter. Struck out 2 batters last night in rec ball with that pitch :)

The more she does it the more it will break down and out and will make girls look silly in the box.
Glad it helped.

May 20, 2019
It seems to never stop raining this fall so not getting much circle time. Lots of backyard sessions although its starting to get dark earlier. We are still working hard on posture. I think I have identified one of the major issues causing the posture though. She is fairly consistently stepping well across the powerline.(and no we aren't trying to throw screwballs lol). Dragbox is helping correct drive foot twist. Its like a Neverending game of whack-a-mole!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28