The Journey Begins

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2019
Can she use a horseshoe grip and throw and handshake change? Pretty easy to throw. Will definitely change the speed.
Do some active pronation drills with the ball by backchaining first. A forced pronation will help get 12-6 spin. She’s just relaxing thru the release. My dd does it and will always get bullet spin.
Just went up to 16u and hasn’t thrown a 4 seam Fb in 2 years.
Rise, drop, change and mix in curve and 2 seam Fb. But R,D,C is very effective and doesn’t really have to deviate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tried this and 2 seam grip peel drop is nasty and picked up a whole bunch of velocity over the c grip. Only had 30 min tonight to work but thank you....this was eye opening 😉 now to burn it in before Saturday....lol

May 20, 2019
Been a while since I posted progress. Still fighting posture but getting better. Also seems to be not entirely palm up down the backside. Control and velocity improving each week. Starting to get some better spin with 2 seam grip as well. Point out any other issues that jump out :)

Nov 8, 2018
Tried this and 2 seam grip peel drop is nasty and picked up a whole bunch of velocity over the c grip. Only had 30 min tonight to work but thank you....this was eye opening now to burn it in before Saturday....lol

Very nice to hear.
We actually just worked on drop curve today for the first time.
She didn’t have much trouble. Can’t wait to see it in action

Nov 8, 2018
e57464ca0b8f338797fbf58c86196a54.jpg

Glove starts in a great position here. Love it.

2c246176d91f3fde1ce49869a21d4180.jpg

As you see here it shoots directly left and then swims hard.
I would get her to run it up the spine or up the right side of her torso. It will swim less and keep her ball arm on the power line better.

50e44663cfd343de9f5a5b3ae56642b8.jpg

Here is a big prob. Hip butt way out and completely misses brush contact. You can see the space between her arm and the body.
Fix that posture. Get tall on to touch and try to get brush.

Oct 26, 2019
@DrRiello is spot on. I have made posture and brush the focus with my DD for the last month. She doesn’t get it every time, but when she does she herself realizes how it almost always results in a good pitch. If I had to do it all over again I would have made it the most important thing to focus on from the very beginning.

May 20, 2019
Been fighting the posture issue every single practice since day 1. It is our Kryptonite. Sometimes its better than today was but always an issue we constantly work on.

Nov 8, 2018
Been fighting the posture issue every single practice since day 1. It is our Kryptonite. Sometimes its better than today was but always an issue we constantly work on.

Tell her to bring her hip to her hand and not the other way around. See if that cues her.

Apr 12, 2015
The posture issue is starting further downstream than the landing. She is twisting to open rather than letting it happen naturally. Imagine she has headlights on her shoulders and front of her thighs. She should try to keep all four headlights pointed straight at the catcher as she drives out. She won't be able to, but that should be her mindset. Once she stops twisting to open and lets the open start happening naturally, her posture will immediately improve.

For the glove swim, a lot of that begins with the twisting to open action. But don't focus on the glove. Focus on the the glove-side elbow. Keep that inline with the body and as she comes over the top of the circle with the ball, work on getting her to slot her glove-side elbow into her ribs, much like she should slot the throwing elbow. Adducting both elbows into her body while engaging her scaps will solve all glove side problems.

Feb 11, 2020
I don’t understand “bring the hip to the hand.” Are you referring to when the pitcher finishes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28