The Ivy League Cancels Spring 2021 Sports

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We did. California was the first to shut down and they are still closed.
Florida never shut down and they are still open.
I'm no doctor but somethings wrong when a state on full lock down has more deaths as a percentage of population than a state wide open the whole time. Makes ya wonder.
I am no doctor either but I have common sense. When I am in public(except softball tourneys)for the past 9 months people have been wearing masks except for one lady I saw at the grocery store. Another note: For all of the softball tourneys that have gone on during the Summer and Fall, I don't recall any of those being traced back as a super spreader event when less than half the people were wearing masks. Think about it. On a quadplex, there are 8 teams playing, 8 teams that just got done playing and another 8 teams warming up along with the coaches and parents and college coaches. Add 4 or more fields for some nicer facilities and the ppl double and quadruple.

Apparently one mask does not work, so the CDC now recommends to wear 2 masks. Most transmissions usually happen in enclosed places like a home...where everyone was told to sequester and lock down. The virus is gonna do what the virus is gonna do. Meanwhile DD's college cannot have any spectators while the baseball team can have 150 with the field being just 20' away!

I also think I got the C19 last year in February when I went to watch DD play. She and her teammates weren't' feeling very well but powered through the weekend. Wife was feeling sick on Sunday and then Monday I woke up with a tickle in my throat and some achiness. We both went to urgent care that day and both came back Flu and Strep negative. I woke up the next day with Flu like symptoms and slept for the next 2 days. Hacking unproductive cough for 3 weeks. No flu? What was that then! I totally believe the DD gave it to me since we shared some hugs over the weekend.

Apr 28, 2014
Absolutely no reason not to wear masks IMO. And absolutely no reason to shut down a state with little or no plan to recover.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
No they're not.
So DD's school is not allowing spectators, but don't tell the administration or the campus police I am getting on a plane in 2 hours to fly up to watch my DD's team play from deep past the OF fence. @pattar I might need your help to make sure I am doing it right. I will be far enough from the fence that I couldn't get a full water bottle over the fence.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
My DD's college team has 3 players currently on campus that are allowed to practice (finally) with the Coach. Had to use separate balls (no back & forth catch, and more BS like that. They've announced that there will be no overnight travel IF & WHEN the school's President allows conference games. Oh yeah, that's with masks, Face shields or goggles and social distancing...outdoors on a softball field. High Academic Fear Mongering Stupidity at it's finest.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
My DD's college team has 3 players currently on campus that are allowed to practice (finally) with the Coach. Had to use separate balls (no back & forth catch, and more BS like that. They've announced that there will be no overnight travel IF & WHEN the school's President allows conference games. Oh yeah, that's with masks, Face shields or goggles and social distancing...outdoors on a softball field. High Academic Fear Mongering Stupidity at it's finest.

That institution of higher learning doesn’t sound like they’re using sound science with those restrictions. Do they just throw the ball into a bownet? Can’t they see that other schools are making this happen???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 1, 2017
It's a given at this point that many of the rules don't make any sense.

Here in Illinois, masks are required to be worn for all high school athletes. The only exception made is for wrestling??? Whether you are pro mask, anti mask, "somewhere in between" mask, if masks aren't being required for wrestlers, what "science" can there be for any sport to have them on? Football starts here on Monday, outside, and masks are required at all times...

Oct 1, 2014
USA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22