The inside pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Try to get your DD understand the whole strike zone is hers and she has the right to pitch anywhere in it.

Also get her to understand hitting a batter even if it isn't in the strike zone. Brushing a team off the inside corner makes the outside corner that much more effective.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
It's definitely mental! We worked on it with my DD in fall ball and I bet she hit at least 8...at least. It was frustrating for her but I had to explain why and when she needs to be able to throw that inside pitch. I'd talk to her about owning the corners all day and before/after every game she pitched I had to remind her it's just part of the game. After all, we're not throwing for the ear hole on purpose. Something clicked in her head and like Seattlecoach said it works amazing when the team jumps back and you own 2/3 of the plate after the fear of an inside pitch gets to them. I'm not much help but I think if you simply approach her and talk about how huge of a pitch it is to add to her arsenal she'll pick up easily. We played up 2 weekends ago at a 12u tourney and that inside pitch got pulled for miles(long strikes)...change it up with an outside pitch and she'll have herself some Ks or a come backer for an easy out. The girls went 4-2 on that weekend and it was the most fun I think they've had. BTW I can't wait for our girls to grow a little bit more. They looked tiny out there haha

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
I kinda got lost typing all that up...sorry. I had a conversation with her HC last fall about calling pitches. It wasn't a crazy pitchers parent convo just a 1on1 about his pitch calling. We both have deep baseball backgrounds. He was a pitcher and I was a catcher so it went on for hours. Of course, we talked about the good ole days but don't let me get off topic here again lol. We discussed hitting oppo and how at these young ages everyone wants to pitch away. I've seen it all the way up to 16u where a pitcher is going away, away and the opposing team sits back and drives it to the gap. I'm glad you brought this topic up for discussion. That away pitch only works for so long. Hitters are training smarter and getting stronger. Yes, I understand that maybe just the few 12u-16u "A" pitchers I've seen just might not have movement pitches. My point is to teach them young to beat the crap out of that inside pitch! Their confidence goes way up when they build that courage to throw inside. Makes them a beast on the field! I'm glad I had that conversation with him because I can honestly say he's helped her with that fear as well. GRC I hope your kid picks it up because she looks good. Just tell her everyone at DFP says to beat the crap out of that inside corner. It'll help I'm sure haha

Jun 12, 2015
Haha! I'll tell her :) BTW I tend to wander in my posts too, crazy free-associating brain of mine. I'm glad I'm not the only one. And what you said about growing, I can so relate to! On the one hand I don't really want her to grow up so fast. On the other hand, it's amazing the average size difference between the 06 girls and the 05 girls. Our team looked like a bunch of kindergartners this weekend in comparison with one team in particular. The girls were just huge. It's hard to believe they're only about a year older.

Jun 12, 2015
We've been practicing with her dad as a batter. In the basement it's a little dim and he couldn't see well enough to get out of the way of one particular very inside pitch. Right on the elbow, ouch. But we told her we were glad she hit him. hahaha. She was amused, and I hope this will help get her past the mental block. Guess we'll see on Saturday!

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Bump in the same boat. Does anyone have additional ideas or comments on how to get over mental block for pitching inside? 1st year 12u.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Drills don't really help much. The only thing I have had success with is telling them to aim for the inner third of the plate rather than the black. Since it is a mental thing aiming for the inner third helps them relax, in a couple of cases it has worked really well.

Jan 8, 2019
Encourage her to think about the right side of the plate (RHH) NOT to the inside of the batter.

Don't think about an elephant =

1582091090490.png

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
@grcsoftball, if you figure it out please let me know. Am dealing with the same thing. 14U DD gets spooked when batters crowd the plate and the inside pitch is called. Bigger issue for her if high inside pitch is called. I talk to her about owning the strike zone and it being the batter's job to get out of the way and if you hit her, oh well...part of the game. Also, the batter probably doesn't worry too much if they send a liner right back at you. The problem is she is too g%$^@#$ nice! Thanks to others for some good suggestions.

Mar 20, 2015
One thing we do is that every time DD is warming up all pitches are targeted to the inside corner. It creates a comfort level with that pitch and she actually prefers throwing an inside pitch in the game. Also practice with a player standing in the batters box tight to the plate. Its much easier without the game pressure on them. Or stand in the batters box yourself with bat in right hand and and mitt in the left hand. If the ball is coming your way you have to catch it. I've never been hit and I think the worse that can happen is a hit to the lower leg.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28